Throughout my travels I’ve been taking pictures of my friends sleeping and editing them using the WhatsApp pencil to create a comic strip. This has worked really well, and I even made a stylus out a pen, a cue tip and some foil. However I feel I’ve reached the limit of what the WhatsApp pencil can offer me. Can anyone recommend a simple doodling app that will let me import a photo and then draw over it. Ideally I’d want the ability to have layers and and to cut and paste. Obviously an assortment of brushes would be fun too.

I have the app sketchbook, but it’s a little too advanced for my needs and frustratingly also lacks some very simple features (such as deleting/copying selections).

Thank you comrades.

• glans [it/its]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

There is a great website called alternativeto.net. If you know one piece of software that is kind of what you want you search and it tells you similar other software. It has zillions of entries and does not seem to be over run with bot trash. I believe the recommendations are largely based on human responses. And I have never seen any affiliate codes or other commercial biases.

Here is a link for alternatives to SketchBook: https://alternativeto.net/software/autodesk-sketchbook/ You should select what platform you want (iOS or Android probably). You need to open the options by clicking this arrow:

and there are other options there you can select also. Hope it helps.

• glans [it/its]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Cool I hope it works out! That app behaved weirdly for me but it could have been due to my weird phone.

This website really helped me move to open source software. It lets you see how robust the options are, for a lot of use-cases, the FLOSS choice is better, more useful.