• evasive_chimpanzee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Some of that selection seems suspect to me. It’s weird to include central Mississippi, but exclude the blue ridge mountains. With government definitions like this comes money, so I bet there was a lot of politicking involved. That said, jd’s hometown is definitely not Appalachian, though I dont think he claims that. He claims (and this is my memory from reading the book when it first came out), that his family is Appalachian, so he claims heritage that way. Not to defend him, cause I think he’s a POS, but I think it is fair to claim he feels Appalachian.

There’s plenty of substantial things to criticize him for

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah, it looks like it includes the blue ridge mountains and a little more slightly further east even. It seems to include everything that could even be argued is Appalachian.

• evasive_chimpanzee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

The Shenandoah valley, which is bounded on the east by the blue ridge is not included. That’s several counties that you can see carved away between rockbridge County, VA, and Jefferson County, WV. The blue ridge continues further south from there, and a lot of it is left out on the map, too.