In Congress today, the war criminal who has starved, killed and maimed tens of thousands of Palestinians was given standing ovations and 70 applause breaks.

It wasn’t the only thing that happened. Over 100 Democrats boycotted the address and thousands protested outside. Still, I think this cartoon captures the spectacle of what happened inside the building.

Source

• OneOrTheOtherDontAskMe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t know what communities you’re in with a Liberal lean that aren’t lambasting the Democrat party’s stance on Israel.

I agree with you, anyone taking a pro Israel stance right now is pretty reprehensible. But I hope you’re not conflating “vote Democrat so we don’t get Trump” as pro Israel sentiment. Most of the people saying that, from what I’m seeing, have been pro-Palestine or are under the belief that a more authoritarian leaning party (like the one we had from 2016-2020) would result in worse conditions for the Palestinian people.

• OneOrTheOtherDontAskMe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Continued spending, a drop of the ‘mask’ of civility. Zero calls for even the most minute investigation open endorsement of using larger munitions, detaining of Palestinian-Americans akin to the Japanese American camps, legislation/trade action against nations voicing support for Palestine to silence even MORE foreign dissent.

If you can’t imagine how it gets worse from here, pick up a history book, because we’ve DEFINITELY gone all-in on fascism before, and I’m firm in my belief that voting in ANY way that let’s the republican party as it currently stands back into power would result in a backslide to what I’ve described above. I don’t WANT to vote Democrat, in my eyes, I HAVE to because there’s no other party that will make things better, or at least not monumentally worse, right now. Abolish the two party system, introduce rank choice voting, advocate for more humanitarian policies and parties, all for it. But I can’t do all of that this November, I can just vote Blue, Red, or a third color no one’s really seen show up on the national stage, and Blue seems to be the only color that won’t ALSO curb stomp my gay and trans and pregnant-seeking-abortion friends and neighbors.