Is this some simple virtue signaling (for closed source app) directed at users that are not technically inclined? I didn’t see this being promoted at this level in any other app.

• kirklennon@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I don’t think there’s anything particularly partisan about the law in the first place so it’s not so much an issue of what any party supports but rather education of the electorate at large. People aren’t going to get excited about encryption but they will be angry when WhatsApp stops working (which is what is going to happen) and they need to know why. Ideally they’ll hear enough rumblings that literally all of their messaging apps are going to stop working before the law goes into effect to stop it in time.

• HipPriest@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I mean I think this is why it’s an interesting scenario - that’s very much the view losing side of things but I don’t think the politicians have fully grasped that yet. I don’t know whether that’s because they think the tech companies will ultimately ‘come round’ - in which case they’re badly mistaken - or whether they’re really that badly informed.

But politicians organise everything by WhatsApp as we’ve learned… I honestly don’t think they understand the consequences. But I’m just a poor humble member of the electorate, what do I know compared to intellectual titans like Jacob Reece-Mogg and Suella Braveman (who presumably as home sec has an interest in this?)