Just started Lemmying today. Have lots of questions. Someone mentioned mod logs, so I went down a rabbit hole reading mod logs. The only reason I left reddit was because many mods are dicks. But reading the logs, it seems mods ban people and censor like crazy here too. Isn’t Lemmy supposed to be more free and open? How is this different from Reddit? I honestly don’t understand.

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Unlike on Reddit, where if you don’t like a subreddit you’re totally unable to…

Wait hang on

(I think it is the natural endpoint of putting people in a position of power, then asking them to do a thankless job and interact with the worst the community has to offer day in and day out without reprieve and expect them to remain cheerful and evenhanded the entire time. I don’t think Lemmy has any particular advantage in that regard, except that it is younger and moderators have had less time to turn bitter.)

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yeah. Lemmy’s structure makes mod abuse much easier. That said, it is easier for groups to leave if they disagree with mods and admins, like with what happened with StarTrek.website.

• TheWeirdestCunt@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I was talking about instance level stuff, for example I’m on Lemm.ee but I can still interact with lemmy.world, but yeah there isn’t much difference on the community level other than communities being able to have the same name if they’re on different servers