• Burn_The_Right@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

AOC for President!

We desperately need more young people running for all offices, local and national. If you are a young person stuck in a dead-end job, run for an office somewhere. You don’t need anyone to back you. Just sign up and learn about the process by doing it.

If you don’t ever win, it’s a fun and interesting life experience to share with others. You will make new, life-long friends along the way and you will be showing others that it’s possible.

If you DO win, though, there is no limit to the benefit you can bring to humanity! The world needs you. Do it! I will vote for you.

Signed, An Old Person

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Have you seen what she has been voting for and the changes she went through in less than 4 years?

She is closer to Nancy Pelosi than anyone the left should be going for, while also letting the Justice Dems. die out.

She endorsed Biden the same day Biden agrees to send Cluster bombs to Ukraine…

I don’t think the people see her the same way as we did in the start of her career as a politician.

edit: fixed cluster bomb info

• Zoboomafoo@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Nancy Pelosi, one of the most effective and successful politicians in congress?

That’s high praise

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

We have different views, I was for the progressives, that was the only reason we wanted AOC.

Now she is just another blue dog democrat.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Look at what she ran on and what she is doing now, she is moving more and more closer to the blue dogs.

I am just trying to point out the reality of politicians.

We have to stop seeing them as our saviors or people that can’t be corrupted, they are politicians.

We need to force them to fight for the people, we can’t treat them as just another celebrity.

Power is not given just because we like them and defend them, we need to keep pushing them so they stay in line to what they ran on.

• ebenixo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Correct and of course you have fake progressives here down voting and defending her trying to smell her farts as she gives them more of the same neoliberal bullshit putting them closer to poverty as the years go by

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Sad we keep falling for it, I just hope we keep learning from our mistakes.

Some learned after: Obama, Trump, Biden

Little by little we can keep learning and talking so we may fight the class war, the people vs. the wealthy.

• millifoo@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I wonder how far away we are from AOC being able to run for President, and have a possibility of actually winning.

2028?

2032?

Only when majority of the Boomers have died off? Or will Gen-X turn all grump and conservative in their old age and become the new Boomers once they’ve inherited all their Boomer parent’s wealth?

Full disclosure: I’m a Gen-X’er

• Zoboomafoo@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’d say she’d have a decent shot at 2028. It doesn’t seem like there’s a natural successor to Biden like Hillary was to Obama, so my prediction is that the primary is going to be wild

• dhork@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Of course we have a natural successor to Biden, it would be his VP. What’s her name again?

• Doug Holland@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

She’d win.

Even in our backassward time and place, anyone who gives her a serious listen can sense that she’s smart and right and righteous.

• AttackBunny@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I feel like gen x is and always has been pretty apathetic, but the majority of us don’t have any great wealth to hoard like the boomers did/do. so, the likelihood of the bulk of us being highly conservative isn’t as high.

The propaganda and brain washing against self protection/functional government policies/unions/etc did do a good job with our generation though. There are still too many of us that will rail against any kind of help or protections or anything that would make life a little better/easier.

Idk. I could talk in circles with myself forever, apparently.

• Conyak@lemmy.tf
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It depends on what party she runs as in my opinion. I could see her running in 2028 with the possibility of winning as a Democrat. I feel like America is a long way from electing a Progressive party member to the presidency though, and she is certainly a Progressive.

The Conservative/GOP party is a party in decline. They peaked probably 20 years ago and really only win national races now by gerrymandering and suppressing votes. There whole platform is really out of touch with the average American citizen and I don’t see them changing anytime soon from fear of losing their evangelical base. A base that is also in decline in America.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

She needs to build enough of a base within the party to make it viable.

That means creating the bench of local and state officials that share her politics.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 months ago

What, everyone should just do whatever AOC says and clap?

I’m not blaming AOC, just describing the politics of what is going on.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That is currently true. However, 2028 is a trump presidency and an insurrection away from now so things could change.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

If she does run, I think it will be closer to how the Hillary Clinton election went.

The left has had enough of AOC/Bernie, just looking at the endorsment of Biden with no leverage given, while also voting for more miliatary spending.

The force the vote debacle that the REPUBLICANS ended up using for Kevin McCarthy…

Medicare for All failures and so on…

• Poob@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The Democrats would never allow her to win the primary, and she wouldn’t win the election in her thirties even if they would. Old assholes running everything sucks, but I don’t think the solution is to run thirty year olds.

• Piecemakers@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The Democrats would never allow her to win the primary and she wouldn’t win the election in her thirties even if they would. Old assholes running everything sucks but I don’t think the solution is to run thirty year olds.

There. Took out your conjecture.