• grandma@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

NFTs are an interesting concept and I’m sure they could have some real use cases, I’m just yet to see them. Autogenerated art definitely is not one of them though.

• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

or you could, you know, just use normal database instead

• 0laura@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I’ve heard some people talk about how NFTs could maybe be used to replace concert tickets and stuff like that somehow I think? not sure what advantages that would have. maybe NFTs could be used as a less invasive sort of DRM?

• pancakes@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

How is putting it on the blockchain advantageous versus a centralized server? Obviously the argument isn’t about reliability, so I just fail to get why they merit the significantly increased energy cost/ environmental damage.

• 0laura@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

well the one advantage would be that you aren’t relying on some company to keep the servers running. I’m not a fan of NFTs, me struggling to come up with any uses for them should be a sign of that.

• saigot@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I am relying on some company to keep the doors to the concert venue open, might as well depend on them to control the ticket too.

• 0laura@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

true, but right now it’s mostly done through a third party. the argument I’ve heard from nft fans is that nfts would allow you to skip that step