Imagine that your friendly local game store has a sale and you see a great deal on a game by one of your favorite designers. You know nothing about the game besides the designer’s name and that it’s a decent price. You are in a hurry, no time to research, buy it now or miss out.

Which designer’s game would you most likely purchase blindly based only on their name?

• Grayson Page@tabletop.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

@Repptar Had it and got rid of it (well, more accurately, a friend had it and got rid of it). Juice wasn’t worth the squeeze to us. It’s a big game, and I think the one piece of advice I’d have is to approach it more like you would Here I Stand where it’s going to take gobs of time and require a greater rules burden. This isn’t TS2.0 sort of thing, and it wasn’t intended to be.

I get really picky about my wargames, and this wasn’t a time period that I felt passionate about. That’s my fear with the upcoming Simmons game (which was BaM2e, now Triomphe à Marengo). I like Napoleon’s Triumph in part because it does a great job of helping create that immersion of “I’m a commander and here is the situation” given the presentation, but it’s not my time period so the rules burden and eccentricities are more of a burden than I normally want to put up with. I’m hoping this is an easier hill to climb as I do have some other fiends who jam on that era and it would be nice to have a game that meets my level of engagement with it that they are likewise interested in.