I know there are already Gmail alternatives in the pinned post, Protonmail and Tutanota. I’ve experimented a bit with both of them, and both Tutanota or the free Protonmail are out of the question since I can’t use them with Thunderbird, so I don’t have a convenient way to keep all my mails stored in case my account gets deleted or I get locked out of it. And getting locked out of it, I already have once for Tutanota, right after making my account, for no reason, and it took me three days to get it back after sending a mail from another address.

Disroot seems good enough, at least for communication. But for making accounts for official stuff, I’m still a bit worried that I could lose access to my account before an important mail has been downloaded, or that I’d be unable to recover a password or contact some important service if something happens to my account, so I’m wondering whether I’d need something… “Bigger”. A service that has less chance of going bankrupt and being discontinued, but without being google. I’l considering “laposte .net”.

Any thoughts? Do you guys think I’m right, or do you think using more open-source and privacy friendly stuff for everything is completely safe?

• sky@codesink.io
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Big fan of fastmail here, been using it for many years on multiple domains. Simple and reliable.

• loaExMachina@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m not definitely closing the door on them, but since the point is to have at leat one address that I’ll hopefully keep all my life, I’d rather not, because I’d rather not have to change the address on all my subscriptions if I end up having to cut all non-essential expenses later. If it’s mostly an address to sign up for accounts, it wouldn’t really seem worth it when many gratis alternatives exist…

• merde alors@sh.itjust.works
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

laposte did belong to French state. after its privatisation, iirc, the state is still the biggest share holder

there is no encryption either

I can’t see how laposte is better than google

the solution to your problem seems to be owning your own domain and forwarding to whatever service you use at that moment. This way you wouldn’t need to change all your subscriptions, but just the forwarding.

laposte 🤣 no way!

• loaExMachina@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Yeah, I known their not ideal, but as I said, it’s mainly for creating accounts or managing online paperworks, so it’s not like I’d be managing any info on there that the state doesn’t have an easier way of getting. The plan was still to start using either Tutanota or Disroot for personal communication. Beside, I already need to use some of La Poste’s online services for work… Still, thank you, I’m looking into the services with personnal domain…

• DARbarian@artemis.camp
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

ProtonMail has an official client called ElectronMail that stores emails for offline use. Highly recommend it.

• pescetarian@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

To have selfhosted mail best idea, but always keeping in mind, don’t forget pay for it. Best way use PGP but not much people use it. Good alternative is PEP mail app, automatically encrypt all mails but for both (if using together). So, most important thing is app for communication not provider…