• MasterBuilder@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You speak much truth, but I think ther is more open source than even Microsoft sees in the ecosystem. Getting started producing working projects feels easier in .net to me.

I was a Java developer in the early days, and found the platform very frustrating. Things started to improve with the spring framework. And when I heard about spring boot, I was very pleased to see that it was all about making a standardized easy initial project startup configuration.

I recently had to do some Java for the first time and literally decades. I was able to use Java 17.

I felt it was vastly better than the early days, I was frustrated by things like the incomplete implementation of generics. And it appears that was a direct result of the way Java evolved.

Unfortunately, it appears many if not most Java projects are still stuck in Java 8 because of all of the Legacy installed code and a lack of decisiveness toward upgrading.

As for .net, I’m a little worried about some of the things coming out of Microsoft lately. I fear they may be returning to some of their old ways. Time will tell.

• Pyab@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We also miss the kind of integrations other eco systems have. Like the good Rust integation with Python. I think the future is to write good memory efficient libraries in Rust and use the from Java, Python,nodejs and .net.

I am missing a library for the delta format and find it strange that Microsft spent all marketing during build to talk about OneCloud and the delta format and we can’t even use it from .net besides from Synapse.