Hello everyone,

As you all know, Lemmy does not support wikis at the moment. I have seen other communities using solutions such as rentry.co (example: https://rentry.co/manjaro-controversies) to host their wiki content, do you have any suggestion on another solution we could use?

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Ability for other users to edit it, mostly

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The ideal way should be to have discrete access management: all mods can edit, members can suggest changes, then if a member is well-known he can get a special right to edit without mod approval, etc

This kind of access management would only be possible with an external solution for now

• Illecors@lemmy.cafe
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Markdown in a git repo hosted on gitlab or similar can achieve this. Merge request would be used for suggestions, owner/developer/guest/etc roles for access management. It would have a slight barrier to entry, but it’s not impossibly high. GitLab also has we “web ide” to edit text in the browser.

• BlazeOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

That can be an option. Once everyone has seen this thread, I’ll probably organize a vote to see what the community prefers (probably early next week)

• dhork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

A community like this will get people coming for answers to basic questions like “How do credit cards work” and “should I get a loan or a lease on my car”. Having a wiki provides a set place we can point to that has consistent answers to those basic questions, so they’re not answered differently every time they’re asked.

• Illecors@lemmy.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

This bit is absolutely solved by Lemmy - just pin an FAQ post, make it read only and note it in the sidebar.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

The editable point has been made (workaround: make a new post periodically), but here are some other considerations:

• organization - at a certain point, a massive post is hard to navigate; a wiki should show splitting it into sub-pages (could link to other lemmy threads, but that kinda sucks to maintain)
          • searchable - once it’s in multiple pages, I’d want to skip the index and search for something directly
          • linkable - I can link a lemmy post, but that link can bit rot if the pinned link changes
          • edit history - sometimes advice changes, if you use git, you can explain why in the commit message without cluttering up the actual text; likewise, if we find new advice to be bad, we can easily undo it later since the old versions are still there (esp. if it’s something complex like a flowchart)
          • can be shared by other communities, like maybe collaborate with an investing community, or a community for financial advisors
          • discussion - if advice is contentious, it can be discussed away from the main community, so meta posts don’t clutter regular discussion (could solve with a separate meta community)

I think a separate wiki has a ton of value.