• conditional_soup@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Let me lead with this: Fuck Reagan, all my homies hate Reagan.

Carter catches a lot of grief but not many people can explain why he was a bad president, it always seems to come down to vibes. And, I kinda get it. I don’t agree, but I get it. I watched the Carter/Reagan debate and Reagan fucking demolished him, just absolutely ate him alive. Carter showed up to give a lecture, where Reagan was relatable and speaking to the viewer through the screen. Carter would have been nothing but a smoking pair of shoes by the end of one of today’s shit ass spectacle debates. It’s a shame, too, because I was ready to hear Carter’s lectures, I wanted fo hear what this hella smart dude had to say, but then, I’m a policy nerd. It’s a shame that Carter’s team couldn’t stop the bleeding. I think I’d like to see the alternate future where we didn’t get two terms of the fucking gipper.

• TankovayaDiviziya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

it always seems to come down to vibes.

Yeah, honestly, I find Carter to not have as much of a charisma than the ex-Hollywood actor-- Ronald Reagan. People tend to overlook the importance of charisma.

Also, another factor that this post hugely ignores was the failed Iranian hostage rescue crisis in 1980. That tarnished Carter’s image as the incumbent president.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You need to understand that after losing in Vietnam, the american psyche wasn’t ready for another blow. The Iran Crisis was on the news every night. Carter couldn’t escape it.