Went to a library today to return a book and grab some more. They always have a few books out that they’re selling extras of or whatever. I’ve got some excellent books there before rare oldies and odd little things. Today there was a book I really wanted but it was $170. I thought it said $17. I was so excited.

Oh well. This book is online but it’s not the same.

• Feinsteins_Ghost [he/him]@hexbear.net
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Physical media is the only way I retain what I read. I have no idea why, beyond just being an idiot.

I own a KOBO, a Kindle, I listen to tons of audiobooks but my retention via those routes is pretty awful. I figured at least having a big ass KOBO to read from would be close to a book.

I like the smell of a book. I like thumbing thru pages. I like the idea of flipping back thru a couple pages manually to reread something that confused me at first but got clarified a few pages later.

That really sucks that a used library book was 170. Is it something rare, out of print or something similar? Only books I’ve ever paid that much for were college textbooks that I couldn’t use an earlier edition for, or needed a stupid key code for testing access etc. 170 makes my pocket hurt and makes me sad.