The world’s top chess federation has ruled that transgender women cannot compete in its official events for females until an assessment of gender change is made by its officials.

• gAlienLifeform@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Democracy outranks human rights.

I don’t recall any part of the bill of rights saying “this doesn’t apply in cases where it’s unpopular”

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The whole thing was put there via voting. It’s the first ten amendments to the constitution.

It’s the law of the land. Democracy does not mean you can ignore laws you disagree with.

• gAlienLifeform@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The whole thing was put there via voting

I mean, a) no, a whole ass war’s worth of violence was a necessary element, b) we don’t let a simple majority vote change those fundamental human rights, we make amending our constitution very difficult and put important stuff in there that probably shouldn’t be changed for a reason

• Candelestine@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Well, yea, the war put the voting system in place. After some initial hiccups getting started, the bill of rights was one of the first things voted on.

Just because the amendment process is difficult does not make it undemocratic. Note, I’m trying to be objective here, not say that one is more valuable or important than another. Simply that one is functionally more powerful.