The company wants to charge for API access. Its volunteer moderators have other ideas

• mem_somerville_kbin@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This point struck me too:

Reddit is under no obligation to make its API free. But, it seems, the company has overreached in enforcing the new policy. If its target is the largest AI firms, then it should focus on curbing their parasitic proclivities and not going after beloved and useful software its users and moderators depend on.

This is my feeling. I understand that it could cost something. But the eye-watering rates for the small fish and the speed of the extortion is the issue.

• Banzai51@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Because the point isn’t the costs of the API. Reddit wants all its users to go through the official access points, the Reddit app and the redesigned web. This will allow them to hover the maximum data to sell and ensure ads flow.

• xuxebiko@kbin.socialOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They should’ve just been effing upfront about it instead of trying to scapegoat API creators. Did they think users are too dense to understand what they were/are really up to?

• sanols@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Have corporations always been this dishonest and they’re only know getting caught? Am I old enough to see when a corporation is lying, or are corporations blatantly lying more often now?

• xuxebiko@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit knows the rates it proposed are extortionist. They don’t have the nerve to honestly state that 3rd party access will be stopped from July 1 and accept responsibility, so instead they tried to find a way to blame 3rd parties.

• zombiepete@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Think of it as killing two birds with one stone: they monetize users by getting AI firms to pay for all the valuable content redditors have posted over the years, and they kill off app competitors who are giving redditors alternatives to the mobile app.

That’s really all it’s about.