Microplastics Found In Human Hearts For First Time, Showing Impact Of Pollution::A study published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology for found microplastics in the hearts and blood of humans undergoing cardiac surgery.

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I know, and I don’t have any solid solutions. I’m a single person that never studied materials science. I’d love to have all the solutions, but I don’t. The plastic waste that comes to mind for me in a medical setting is the packaging for sterile products, which could definitely be made of industrially compostable materials. Implantable devices is far more complex, but biologically inert metals exist.

• meco03211@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The packaging could not be either. Sterility has to be assured for the shelf life of the device. Those are typically years. These materials aren’t just cheap or convenient. They’ve been vetted over decades of research and testing.

Now this isn’t meant to rain on your parade. Just showing how even the best intentions can fall short. Tossing out solutions in areas you aren’t familiar with can just muddy discussions.

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Tossing out solutions in areas you aren’t familiar with can just muddy discussions.

That can be a hard lesson to learn, but it’s a great one. If there were awards on here, I’d give you one… In place accept this 🌟