for real though, modern linux distros will rarely require you to enter a command line, and if you do, a quick internet search can usually help you find out what you need to enter

• crime [she/her, any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 years ago

I’ve lived in various Unix terminals for the last decade+ and cmd.exe scares the shit out of me. Well no it doesn’t, but I hate it and I’m always pretty sure I’m about to brick the whole computer. Which is an improvement tbf if it’s running Windows

• HumanBehaviorByBjork [any, undecided]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 years ago

it’s awesome how every tutorial on how to change anything deep about Windows starts with “Hit Win+R and type regedit.exe. WARNING: Editing your Windows registry can have potentially catastrophic results for your system. Please make a restore point before following this tutorial.”

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 years ago

rm is the unix command for remove — it deletes files and directories.

The -r flag, or --recursive recursively traverses all the directories in the path file that you specify (so like if you have a directory stuff/ which has files a.txt, b.pdf, and subdirectory c/ then rm -r stuff/ would remove both files as well as c/ and its contents.

The -f flag, or --force, does what it says on the tin: it deletes everything without prompting you or warning you about what it’s going to delete.

So it’s possible to delete all the files on your system — including ones that the operating system needs to run — with rm -rf /. It’s very hard to do on accident these days — usually you need superuser permissions (the sudo in sudo rm -rf /) which requires you to enter your administrator password and to also pass the flag --no-preserve-root which was created to keep people from deleting their whole system because someone named pigpoopballs69 on a random forum said to run sudo rm -rf /

• sooper_dooper_roofer [none/use name]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 years ago

The -r flag, or --recursive recursively traverses all the directories in the path file that you specify (so like if you have a directory stuff/ which has files a.txt, b.pdf, and subdirectory c/ then rm -r stuff/ would remove both files as well as c/ and its contents.

So what would happen if you just did “rm stuff/” without the recursive flag? Shouldn’t it work the same way and delete all of stuff/ contents?

also how do you do that code font thingy

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 years ago

rm stuff/ without the recursive flag fails with an error (rm: cannot remove 'stuff': Is a directory) and doesn’t remove anything. I’d guess the decision there was to have the least-destructive end result for ambiguous behavior, but I’m not entirely sure what the history is there, pretty sure that command is older than I am :)

The code font thingy is the back tick character: `