• ChonkyOwlbear@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I can say from experience that having expertise in an area where people deny reality because of politics can be absolutely exhausting. You can spend your whole life trying to counter the bullshit with fact and get nowhere. Arguing in good faith with someone who argues in bad faith is a losing game. Sometimes you just want to say “Shut up, I know more than you”.

• NotThatKindofDoctor@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ugh I totally feel it. I have a PhD in sociology… sociology. If another person tells me that my research is just my opinion or that they have a one off anecdotal story that disproves any research I talk about, I might throw up on them. It’s very difficult to be civil. But I try my best to educate and remain calm.

• bpudding@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The anti-intellectualism that’s infested this country for generations makes it so you almost have more credibilty if you’re uninformed.

• chicken@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Sometimes you just want to say “Shut up, I know more than you”.

That is fair, I just think it won’t do any good, and people who say more than that are doing good, even if they don’t get to see it. Not saying the right move is to get sucked into a point by point debate with someone trying to spread lies, but anyone reading could benefit from being pointed in the direction of reality even if they won’t thank you for it.