Trump canceled a planned news conference next week where he said he would present claims of election fraud in Georgia from the 2020 election. His lawyers felt it better to file the claims formally in court as they fight his recent indictment in Georgia. The indictment charges Trump with attempting to pressure state officials to overturn the election results. It cites instances where Trump alleged fraud that did not occur. Previously, Trump’s campaign had filed lawsuits in Georgia making unfounded claims of issues like dead people voting. Of note, one of the indictment charges relates specifically to a lawsuit Trump signed verifying false claims. Trump remains vocal in disputing the 2020 election results despite lack of evidence.

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

thats a good point. was there every really going to be a conference?

i think its also possible someone convinced him if he did it, he might trigger a judicial response. he seems to be gettin nervous

• agentsquirrel@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think there was going to be a conference. Trump may or may not have produced the “total exoneration” document he’s been crowing about. If he did, it undoubtedly would have been the same drivel cited in the indictment as fabricated misinformation/lies. If he didn’t, he’d say it was still being finished. Either way, the conservative world would be citing the document as proof of his innocence. I think the document is merely a distraction. Trump was going to use this conference as a call to arms directed at his idiot thug horde. He’s badly wanting to launch January 6th 2.0 against Fulton County. I think he backed off when his lawyers told him he’d end up in a jail cell until trial. This is all total speculation on my part, but quite plausible I think.

• MJBrune@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah I have to agree. Although I don’t think his lawyer told him that releasing whatever like of lies he had would have been damaging to his cases.