I’ve tried to search for this but all of the results are several years old and state that you can’t but it would be possible with future development. Does any one know if this is possible in 2023?

I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS for reference. Additionally I’m fairly new to running Linux as a desktop OS (I’ve a little experience working with Linux servers) so any help would be appreciated.

• Shdwdrgn@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m sure you’ll get some better answers soon, but I can tell you that yes it IS possible, and pretty much always has been, but I don’t believe the answer is within Firefox itself. It’s been a long time since I did a fresh install and had to set it up, but I do remember having to make some changes in my desktop to get IT to remember the location of closed windows. In my case this was actually a change to a hidden config file and not something I could get to from any GUI settings manager, but maybe this is enough information for you to modify what you are searching for to find the answer for the desktop you are running. (My solution was for the Mate desktop, but I think Ubuntu uses Unity by default unless you selected something else?)

• okda@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Ubuntu hasn’t used unity for years and years. It’s gnome with some extensions now.

There is an extension to move apps to a given workspace, but a static one. Not the “last used”.

• Shdwdrgn@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Ah ok, I never kept up with ubuntu. I’m using the Mate desktop which is based off of Gnome, seems like there should still be a method of remembering where the windows were located? On my system I have eight firefox windows open across two monitors and three different desktops, and it puts all of them back in the right place every time I restart. But yeah, the exact HOW of setting it up I don’t remember.