Been seeing a lot about how the government passes shitty laws, lot of mass shootings and expensive asf health care. I come from a developing nation and we were always told how America is great and whatnot. Are all states is America bad ?

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

No, despite what always online Europeans who have never visited will like to tell you. We’re just very big and very vocal, so you hear about us all the time. Bad news spread faster then good news. Are you going to be reading news about how good our tap water is, our public restrooms always available, boring stuff like that? Probably not! But that’s stuff you’ll notice if you do actually visit. We also are much more friendly and welcoming then other countries. We’re also tend to be less racist because we vocally talk about our racial problems rather then sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn’t exist. I’m sure I’ll get downvoted by some people who don’t like to hear that, but they won’t be able to refute.

Edit: Why is everything America related online swarmed with Europeans trying to shit on it. It’s so exhausting and extremely pretentious. No wonder people have a distorted view of it online.

• justinw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Our tap water is in crisis. What hasn’t been privatized is either being operated with outdated technology, or being polluted, and EPA protections are being weakened by the Supreme Court.

And, in most of America there aren’t freely available public restrooms. They are all located in businesses that will outright deny you access, or force you to make a purchase. Their policies allow them to discriminate against the unhoused, and the disabled.

I am an American, but I’m not going into I get into the broader discussion here, just had to respond to your two points, as they don’t seem grounded in reality.

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

You just walk into a starbucks or a gas station. They’re all in businesses, but saying you have to make a purchase is straight up false.

• guangming@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Even when you CAN do this, it’s usually because the employees are either kind enough or inattentive enough to let you do this. And if you are clearly unhoused or poor, your chances of being able to do this are much, much lower than if you can fit in in a middle class white area. (Restaurants with predominantly poor clientele or many homeless people nearby tend to be much stricter about this.)

• ChronosWing@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Starbucks is iffy but I’ve traveled nearly every state and never once have I been to a gas station that required a purchase to use the restroom.

• NSFGiraffe@lemmynsfw.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Here’s what everyone isn’t getting.

Public bathrooms are accessible to those that contribute to society.

Not saying this is right, it’s just how it is. Even places that have a “purchase policy” don’t care, the policy only exists to keep problems to a minimum and is usually only enforced against those that look like they might cause problems.

YOU have never been TOLD a gas station bathroom required a purchase. Likely because you pulled up in a vehicle and look normal enough. But I’m willing to bet money if you wander up on foot and look homeless you’ll find out they actually do have that policy.

I’ve been on all sides of this. As the strung out homeless kid that just wanted a quiet warm “nice” place to do my drugs. Then the struggling young adult having to wash blood, hair and literal shit off every surface in there. And then the manager having to enforce these policies because if I don’t my employees (or myself) have to go deal with whatever problems are created in the bathroom (and the WILL be a mess to clean up 98% of the time).

• pascal@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

In Switzerland, you have to pay $2 to use the restroom in gas station. But I totally prefer using those compared to the sanity standard of your average american gas station. I can be picky.

• ChronosWing@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Fair enough, gas station bathrooms in the states range from really good to don’t fucking touch anything.

• stergro@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

A good way to get an impression about real america as an outsider is to follow smaller hobbyist YouTubers from middle sized towns. One guy from Michigan I follow has a remarkable boring life that’s completely different from every American stereotype.

• AssholeDestroyer@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Michigan poisoned an entire mid sized city. Its the home of mercenary leader Erik Prince. His sister is married to Dick Devos who runs the largest pyramid scheme in the world. There are Dow Chemical dump sites all over the state leaking heavy metals into waterways. Jeffrey Epstein got his start at Interlochen Arts Academy, the highschool had a dormitory named after him for years.

• Widowmaker_Best_Girl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Thank you for the actual sane take. I swear people on Lemmy are actually worse than Redditors when it comes to shitting on America. It is extremely obnoxious.

• pascal@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

As an European, I was tempted to downvote you. But not because your very valid points but because you started your whole speech by stating defensively that only people who never been to the US tell bad stuff about America, that’s unfair.

I have relatives in the US and I’ve been there for several occasions. Except the midwest and Texas, I’ve been in most of the States and, it’s true, America is like 50 different countries.

But on average, what I can say is that I love interacting with Americans, speaking with them it’s like talking with some old friends, even in NYC (known by other Americans for being very un-american) I found friendlier people than in my home country. Kind of ironic that the only bad chats with Americans happened online.

I’ll skip about the tap water, it’s probably excellent, but to me born and raised in Switzerland, it always tasted like bleach, probably because of the added fluorine, I don’t know. It’s still better than tap water in UK, Turkey and half Europe and by far safer than most of Asia and Africa.

Finally, visiting America as a tourist is great, and I dreamed of living there as a child, but as an adult, I feel safer and more taken care in Europe, both from a healthcare point and from labour safety. But I live in a privileged country, if I lived anywhere else in the world, I would still chase the “American dream”.

What really saddens me about America, while the people are great, the nature is amazing and the spaces are immense, is that is governed by corporations and bribes and make shows like House of Cards a documentary.

• justinw@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Furthermore, what part of the country are you living in that leads you to believe we are less racist than other countries!? Our racism has defined our country ever since it was created.

Seriously, I am curious what part of the country you live in? It is sheltered from most American realities

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

If you think I’m denying racism, you read that comment incredibly wrong. I’m saying in comparison to other coutnries.

• justinw@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Your point was that we’re better because we talk about it.

All over the country legislatures are banning books, and curriculums that even mention racism. It isn’t an isolated incident either.

• Kilgore Trout@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

I agree with you on the exaggeration of racism.

I don’t think you bring valid points to why the United States are better than portrayed, but nonetheless believe so myself.

• HeavyTwenty@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I look asian. I experienced more racism traveling through Europe for 6 weeks than I have living 15 years in the US (primarily Atlanta and Jacksonville).

• ZombieTheZombieCat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

There’s a lot of Americans who aren’t having a great time here. I don’t think negative commentary about the US is one hundred percent Europeans’ fault. Nor is it just that we’re “vocal” about things, which is really a positive since it’s the only way to create change anyway.

For example. I just saw a local news story that cops in a major SoCal city are arresting/citing/fining people for just…being homeless. They want them to go to shelters, but they admittedly don’t create enough shelter space. So it just becomes illegal for certain people to exist. The city gets pissy and aggressive about homelessness being a problem, when they’re the ones who created it and are the ones who refuse to fix it. Sure, give a homeless person a record so that it’s even harder for them to get jobs and approved for an apartment, and then fine them knowing they can’t pay it, resulting in doubling late fees that put them in debt. Sounds they really care about fixing the issue, great fucking job. But think about that - it’s against the law, it’s a crime, to not have a mortgage or rent payment. I’ve been hassled by cops for sitting in my own car in a grocery store parking lot. There is no public space. You have to buy something to be allowed to exist outside of a park, and in coastal places like SoCal, you have to pay to be in those too. And yes this was in one city, but it’s applicable to almost every major city in the US, even if there’s some variations in local laws. It’s just an example of how disposable human beings are here. The minute we don’t have labor to sell, the minute we stop consuming, we’re thrown the fuck away. And that’s not just an economic issue, it’s a cultural issue as well.

• kurap1ka@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Was there, several times, all corners. Sorry to tell you, but your tap water smells like chlorine.

• Gold_Tea@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’ve lived in several states and visited over 20. LA has the worst tap water, but most places are pretty good. Larger cities tend to taste worse than medium cities and rural places.

• qjkxbmwvz@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Grew up on rural well water. Tastes great, a bit hard. Now I drink Hetch Hetchy’s finest. Tastes pretty good. (My grandma’s water was another story.)

We have one federal government, yes, but painting all of the US with the same brush is naive at best.

• pascal@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Same, I’m used to Swiss tap water (I know, sounds like cheating) and the water in America always smells like bleach. You have to get used to it, it’s probably because of the added fluorine. It’s still safe to drink. Can’t say the same in other countries around the world. Even in Germany and Italy, that’s Europe, you should avoid drinking from the tap.

• pascal@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            10 months ago

In houses, yes. But public fountains I’ve found in Germany have often the sign Kein Drinkwasser on them. Meanwhile in Switzerland, almost every public fountain is 100% safe to drink.

Things maybe have changed in the recent years, I see you’re on a German instance and I guess you’re German, so I trust your statement more than mine as a foreigner.

• kurap1ka@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

It does, but you might not notice it since you’re exposed to the smell/taste all the time. But go abroad to Europe or some other place that doesn’t use chlorine for drinkwater treatment and you’d be surprised when you get back how noticeable it is.

• nodrod@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’d say it’s hit or miss on tap water. Depends where you live and how the utilities company handles their water purification. Take Flint, MI for example.

• zephyreks@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Tell me you’ve never been outside your city without telling me you’ve never been outside your city.

A lot of US cities have really suspect lead pipes (Chicago, for one) and in general the water quality is highly dependent on the age of your building.

A shocking number of US cities also run their pipes through chemical spills (like Pasadena) and dilute the pollutants to below the legal limit.

A large number of “public washrooms” are tucked behind “please purchase to use” signs, even if they are de facto public washrooms.

The US has been shockingly and incredibly open with it’s racism in a way that other countries lack. Being from East or Southeast Asia is just begging to get screamed at in some neighborhoods. My fault for not being one of the “right” minorities, I guess.

• 👁️👄👁️@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

This is what happens when you get your US news exclusively online

Tell me you’ve never been outside your city without telling me you’ve never been outside your city.

Are people still using this lol

What state do you live in btw?

• zephyreks@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Canadian living in America, and I hate it here. It’s not pretentious to say that America fucking sucks, because living in American cities objectively fucking sucks.

I’m sure small-town America is nice, though.