• Servais (il/le)OP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

Indeed, from Wikipedia

Assumption Day on 15 August is a nationwide public holiday in Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chile, Republic of Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Gabon, Greece, Georgia, Republic of Guinea, Haiti, Italy, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Republic of North Macedonia, Madagascar, Malta, Mauritius, Republic of Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro (Albanian Catholics), Paraguay, Poland (coinciding with Polish Army Day), Portugal, Romania, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Tahiti, Togo, and Vanuatu;[56] and was also in Hungary until 1948.

• PonyOfWar@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      28 days ago

It’s a common term in the UK, meaning a holiday where banks are closed, including religious holidays. So what most people know as just a regular holiday.

• banghida@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        28 days ago

From a place where it is called a state holiday. Or a religious holiday.

• Servais (il/le)OP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

Ah, I see.

I usually use bank holidays because that’s how they were always called in companies I worked for. Seems to be a English-speaking thing from another comment.

I guess calling them a religious holiday doesn’t say if companies are closed or not.

• banghida@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            28 days ago

That’s why we say state holiday. Actually it should be translated as “state-mandated holiday”.

• norimee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

In Bavaria it is.

We do ALL the religious holidays. And there will be mass somewhere all day tomorrow. I have 3 churchbells in hearing distance and they each ring like 20- 30min at the beginning AND end of each service. Probably starting between 6 and 7am tomorrow morning. There will be absolutely no quiet tomorrow and at the end I’ll have bells ringing in my head.

• Synapse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

I know you have it in Bavaria. The calendar at work shows all the public holidays in Germany without saying in which Bundesland it applies.

Can you imagine my boss’ disconcert last week when he was telling everyone the meeting next week is cancelled because of holidays in Germany and I break it to him it is not for us. It is for our colleagues in France and in Poland, but not us :(