Weekly Share-Your-Build Post

This is part of a weekly series of Share-Your-Build Post threads for everyone to share their builds, discuss different server solutions, and share knowledge and resources! Please be polite and helpful to beginners just getting started out, and we want to be as welcoming as we can to newcomers to this community.

Common info to share can include:

• Plex server make/model
  • CPU and GPU info
  • Storage solution info
  • Plex add-on info (Radarr, Sonarr, Docker, etc.)
  • other configuration info

Anyone who posts good starter guides, FAQs, and/or wikis may get their links added to the sidebar so the rest of the community can benefit!

Cheers!

• bkmps3@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Ooooh.

I’ve just spent the day installing Synology DSM on a passively cooled micro pc with a Pentium N3510 and 4gb of ram.

I haven’t had a chance to test performance yet. Certainly not 4K capable but that’s okay. If it can handle 1080p I’ll mark it a win.

Sonarr and Radarr in dockers on DSM.

12tb USB attached HDD.

I’m not sure if this will be a permanent setup. Will depend what the 1080p performance is like.

But I had the box sitting in the cupboard and I’m really keen to cut ties with streaming services

• BrooklynMan@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’d have loved to go all 4k myself, but I just don’t have the storage capacity for it atm. plus, even with my 4K tv, I just don’t see such a huge difference between 4K and 1080. I have a small apt so I don’t have a huge tv. if I did, I’d notice I more, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• bkmps3@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Yeh I’m similar. I’ve found that yeh it looks a bit better but at 10x the storage it starts being really cost prohibitive for a small benefit.

On a side note, I’ve got the server up and running and it crushes 1080p. No performance issues at all.

Absolutely insane from a 7.5w TDP cpu. Seven POINT five watt.

• BrooklynMan@lemmy.mlOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m still rocking a 2011 iMac for my server a a ghastly 350W. I hate it. it’s slow af, but kills it for my needs, which will hopefully last until I can afford to replace it. it’s been my server for the last 12 years… I ran a - get this - a Pentium 4 4GHz before that as my Plex server!