I thought data caps for home internet were a thing of the past…

I’ve somewhat recently moved back to a very rural area of the Midwest. Small town. No stop lights. Biggest businesses other than the bars are Casey’s, Subway, and Dollar General.

And we have one ISP (not counting DSL) — Mediacom. When we first signed up, I had to go with the second service tier. But not because of speeds, but so I could have a reasonable 1 TB/mo data cap.

Lucky me, they increased the cap to 1.5 TB. 🙄

I hope that in my lifetime I can see ISPs regulated as a public utility.

• SpeakinTelnet@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I hate you, congrats!

In Canada we have to give our firstborn to a telecommunication monopoly for somewhat OK internet.

• Steeve@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Somewhat OK internet on the infrastructure our taxes paid for and the government handed over to Bell and Rogers, but don’t worry, they’ll stop all the other evil corporations from coming in and giving us cheaper internet.

• Ironside@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I pay 90 ish Canadian pesos for 1gb/1gb for Bell fibre. It’s not too bad depending on your location, though that price is still too high. I’m at least making good use of it. 12tb of total transfers this month.

• SpeakinTelnet@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I pay 80$ for 1gb/750mb with bell. I could upgrade to 3/3 for 120$ but then they’d change my modem and the homehub 3000 was the last one I could remove the transceiver and plug fiber directly in my server opnsense router.

• MrGG@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Wait, how’d you get that with Bell? I’m pretty sure my plan is the same speeds for like… double that amount

• Ironside@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I have a permanent $30 discount from when I signed up. Also, apologies, I mixed up the price with my cell plan. 90 not 60.

• folkrav@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

I’m in a new construction (1yo), we only have Bell. Used to pay around that for 1Gbps, then they had a promo for 1.5Gbps at the same price couple months after we moved in. Called to complain, they ended up bumping me at that speed.

• Verdorrterpunkt@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The latency for 1Gbit/s is amazing, and i seem to get that speed. But i really don’t have the hardware for more anyways.

• Truaxe@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah, but those are metric bits so they are a little bit smaller.

• SirMaple_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Data caps on home internet services should be illegal. They should also be much higher on mobile, but that’s a whole other topic.

I have 940/940 Unlimited FTTH for $93.45(Canadian).

• grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m suddenly more motivated to do my French lessons on Duolingo now.

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I know right! Free.fr was a real disruptor. They fought the government to open telecom to private companies (it used to be France Telecom only which is gov owned) then they worked with the gov to create a fiber network that can be used my multiple ISP. So no running parallel lines from separate companies, they all create, maintain and share the same network all over the country. Before that, they started as the first free dialup internet service. You would call a number, and connect. You were paying with ads. They also were the first DSL speed, first TV over DSL, first FTTH, first VoIP, and they also have a cell phone network. And the prices are forcing all the other companies to align. We seriously need free.for in the US.

• Awwab@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

What average consumer has hardware that’s actually capable of using more than 1Gbps?

• oktoberpaard@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Average none, though 2.5 Gbps is getting more and more common and WiFi is catching up too. You could max out multiple slower devices at the same time without hitting the limit of your uplink. I don’t have a use case for that, so I’d only upgrade from my current 1 Gbps to higher speeds if the price is comparable. That doesn’t mean that others don’t have a use case for it.

• theoc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Most decent to higher end desktops have at least 2.5 Gbps. Even a laptop/desktop that doesn’t can get a 2.5 Gbps usb-c to ethernet dongle for like $30-$40.

Higher end access points also have 2.5 Gbps. I have no issue maxing out my 1.5 Gbps (ISP over provisions the lines so I get 1.7 gbps) on Steam. Also keep in mind that when you have a faster connection with multiple devices/people, each device/person might be able to pull 1 Gbps. As in if you have 2 Gbps internet service even 2 older computers that only have a gigabit internet connection, each could get the full gigabit to them.

If you’re the type of person that only uses wifi, you won’t see a difference between gigabit and multigigabit connections but plenty of people have ethernet throughout their homes and they make use of faster than gigabit connections.

• uis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

2.5GbE and 5GbE is now in average consumer hardware. Also 10GbE router costs about 100$.

• grue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Data caps on home internet services should be illegal. They should also be much higher on mobile, but that’s a whole other topic.

I’m not convinced mobile deserves to have caps at all, either!

As far as I’m concerned, there’s no reason to limit the amount of data transfer except in times of congestion, and I also don’t see any reason the amount of data transferred during un-congested times should have any bearing on who gets throttled.

• theoc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You’re way overpaying. I pay $40 for 1.5 Gbps with Bell FTTH. Give them a call and say it’s too expensive and see what they can do for you. Or tell them Rogers (if they’re in your area) offered you 1.5gbps for $60 and ask if they can beat that.

As for mobile, you should look at new plans. $39 gets you 20 GB $50 gets you 40 GB. Seems like plenty of data imo https://www.koodomobile.com/en/rate-plans?INTCMP=KM_HDD_2023_Plans_RatePlans_40gbfor45_ROC_MBSK

Best time to get a mobile plan is Black Friday, should be even better deals by then.

• Dettweiler@lemmyonline.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Home internet data caps WERE a thing of the past when Obama appointed Tom Wheeler as FCC chairman, who then pushed rulings to classify ISPs as a public utility and started enforcing net neutrality. Companies that didn’t play ball started getting fined until they fell in line. Being a former executive for a major ISP, he was very familiar with the anti-competitive practices and underhanded tricks those companies had been using for years; and he used those practices against them to finally make some pro-consumer progress for internet access in the US.

Then, Trump came in and put Ajit Pai in charge of the FCC (no joke, my phone kept auto correcting his name to Shit Pie). Anyways, Shit Pie tore down those rulings and undid all those years of progress as part of the Trump administration’s anti-Obama initiative. Even though it was proven time and again that what he did was directly against public opinion, and that ISPs were flooding the public commentary with bot posts(some even made by dead people); Shit Pie continued to meme about himself and drink from an obnoxiously large Reese’s coffee mug while doing so. At this point, every provider of internet services has added back data caps in the US, and they have continued to increase their prices to maintain that 99.9% profit margin. They’ve also locked down more areas to prevent municipal broadband services from forming, and they’re even pushing for legislation to prevent them from ever happening.

The current administration has done absolutely nothing. In fact, they’ve been so unremarkable, I have no idea who is in charge of the FCC, and I don’t feel like looking it up.

• Ryan@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

In Thailand I’m getting 400Mbps upload and download with unlimited data.

It costs about 300฿/mo ≈ $8.7/mo

• GillyGumbo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Median income is $23k in Thailand. $31k in US. It definitely doesn’t make up the difference.

Edit: Used Personal income for US and Household for Thailand. It actually doesn’t bring the gap significantly closer.

• Earthwormjim91@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Why are you using median household income for Thailand and median personal income for the US?

Median household income in the US is $71,000.

• GillyGumbo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Good call. I didn’t even think to specify household vs personal. My mistake. I’ll edit to fix.

• Ryan@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Although I agree that people get paid less here, I highly doubt that it costs an ISP in the US 8x more to transfer data than an ISP in Thailand.

I’m not really trying to argue that Thai internet is cheap, it’s that internet elsewhere is exorbitantly expensive.

• duncesplayed@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

What kind of rube works in the same country they live in? I met a lot of WFH workers when I visited Thailand, and not a single one of them was working for a company in Thailand.

• lud@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I have luckily never heard about data caps in Scandinavia except for mobile broadband.

Do they even exist at all, here?

• Nioxic@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My first (fast) internet connection was 1 Mbit.

We had 1gb to download per month. This cap disappeared when more competitors showed up though (i had that cap around … 2001)

I havnt seen a data cap for internet connections since. I am not aware of any either. Except for mobile phones. Though, they also have unlimited data for those , if you want. (I have. Just so i never have to worry about it ever again)

• croizat@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I had a friend years ago that had a cap, but that was literally the only one I’ve heard of in my life here (Sweden)

• Retro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Yeah, the ISP cartels sucks. I’ve been stuck paying $170/mo for uncapped 1000/35mbps connection.

Thankfully, before the end of the year, a local ISP is moving into my area. They offer uncapped symmetrical gigabit, for $75/mo… I’ll be saving $95/mo for BETTER service.

The longstanding ISP cartels should seriously be punished for the abuse of their market positions and failure to appropriately use government funding they’ve been given.

• vojel@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

In Germany we pay lots of money for 5G data volume. For me I got 20 Gigs for about 40 bucks, this is mostly Not a thing in the rest of Europe. But data plans on landlines are really dumb.

• Kidplayer_666@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Pretty sure europe doesn’t have caps on landlines because of European wide regulation. If you really think about it, caps on mobile data are also fairly stupid

• r00ty@kbin.life
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Well mobile data is very different. With fibre optic you can generally keep provisioning more cables and a single cable already carries a huge amount already.

Radio has an absolute efficiency limit for the bandwidth of a signal and we’re pretty damn close to that now.

5g uses wider bandwidth channels, with more cells closer together and uses things like beamforming. But there’s still always going to be an upper limit that is considerably lower than fibre.

This is why they likely want to discourage 5g becoming a full alternative to wired, because there’s just not the capacity to do it on the same scale.

• cmeerw@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

If you really think about it, caps on mobile data are also fairly stupid

Mobile is a shared medium and can only support a certain amount of bandwidth per phone mast (in a certain area). A mobile phone network heavily relies on most users not using their data plans most of the time.

• Tetsuo@jlai.lu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

In France at least I doubt it.

The only time I remember caps on landlines was when 56k modem were still the norm. Once ADSL was rolled out there was pretty much no caps anymore.

I think the fact that we had some healthy competition for landlines from the get go in my country meant the ISPs couldn’t get that much greedy and put caps in place. So it never ended being common where I live.

And when it was old school modems, well you were already paying for the phone communications anyway when connected to the internet so it wasn’t really unlimited anyway.

• Kidplayer_666@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Well, I’m in portugal, which does NOT have a lot of healthy competition in the communication space, and as far as I remember there haven’t been data caps (I’m 18, so last 10 years is what I reasonably remember regarding being online), so I’ve always assumed it had to be some European level law

• oktoberpaard@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Agreed. In the past you would pay for calling and text messages and data was often unlimited at the higher tiers, but since nobody pays extra for calling and texting anymore, they’re now charging for data. Luckily they can’t charge extra for EU roaming anymore.

Data caps on landlines is something that I haven’t seen for a very long time in my EU country. The last time I had a subscription with a data cap must have been with a 56k modem, if at all. Cable and DSL might have had fair use policies back in the day (or maybe they still do, who knows), but no hard cap. Or at least not that I can remember.

Internet nowadays is way too important to have data caps, especially at home. 5G should definitely be next. Differentiate in speed all you want, but ditch the caps.

• veloxy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

There are still plans with data caps in Belgium, this is limited to the “cheapest” plans though at about 30 EUR a month

• Aux@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

Data caps do exist in Europe, but they’re generally reserved for ultra cheap data plans. Something like €5 for 100mbit speeds. So you get a decent connection, but limited in traffic instead. Which makes sense.

• koper@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

While it’s stupid that ISPs are using their monopolies to screw consumers, the concept of data caps is not as stupid as you might think.

You’re not just paying for the connection between you and the ISP, but also all the other data links that get your internet traffic to its destination. For example, those cables across the ocean are owned third parties and they charge money for every byte that goes through. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for ISPs to pass that cost to users.

Furthermore, most links are overprovisioned in order to keep costs down. For example, if you assume that users only use 10% of their bandwidth on average, that means you can fit 10x as many people on a connection (or maybe 8x to account for peaks). This does mean that users should be discouraged from using their full bandwidth for long durations, otherwise the network operators can’t overprovision as much and have to invest more in infrastructure.

• ✂⚋⚋⚋⚋ clb92 ⚋⚋@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

In Denmark, I pay ~19€ (~$21) for 1000GB of mobile data (they call it ‘unlimited’, but the small text says they may cut you off at 1000GB). Of course, I rarely use more than 50GB a month on my phone.

• ogeist@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

weint auf deutsch

I’m moving to another provider next month to increase from 8GB@€30 to 15GB€25… Those are per month…

• vojel@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

This is what I am talking about … Most countries in Europe just gives you kinda unlimited data plans… look at this crap I rarely need mobile data because I work from home but if my landline has an interruption I can barely work 1 or 2 days with that if I tweak data consumption on my work laptop.

• Sinnz@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Check out Vodafone if you’re younger than 28. I’m paying 22€/month with their Gigakombi for unlimited 5G.

• ahornsirup@artemis.camp
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I have to use O2’s 5G (using a landline would be much slower) and there’s no data cap on it. Costs €35/month, around the same as a regular landline contract. I think they’d cry foul if I tried using that SIM in a phone though.

• vojel@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I know ppl does this because of the crappy infrastructure in our beautiful country. I am in Berlin with 60 Mbit/s, fiber cable alread installed into my house but somethings missing yet to activate the line lol

• ahornsirup@artemis.camp
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I’m in Berlin too, born and raised. 5G is still twice as fast as any landline available in my building.

• Redredme@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Pretty much a thing in NL and afaik also BE.

source: am Dutch.

T mobile NL, 5G capped at 22GB. Cost: 20 euro.

35 euro in NL wl give you t mobile unlimited which is capped at 15 GB per day. Other providers charge more or less the same.

@home internet 1up/down GB fiber 45 euro. No datacap.

• fne8w2ah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

$40 for 2 Gbps unlimited in Singapore. Caps on home broadband are frankly nonsensical.

• z3bra@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’m reading all the comments and I’m shocked… In France, with uncapped access and 1Gbps down/600Mbps up (theorical) I pay 40€/mo (30€ every six month when I call to complain that it’s too expensive). And it’s definitely not the cheapest provider.

That’s insane !

• rizoid@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I was very close to closing on a house in rural midwest but I checked isp’s and every one available had caps so I just stayed away.

• SupraMario@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s why you just get a business line, usually just slightly more expensive, and you get 99.9% SLA uptime and unlimited cap.

• LogicBomb ⚙️💣@infosec.pub
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Great internet is also a deciding factor for us while looking for our next rural midwest home! I use the FCC Broadband Map and availability searches on local ISP websites to confirm available speeds and no data caps. We passed on some great homes because of slow/no internet or data caps.

Our current rural midwest home has 940x35 w/o data caps from a cable-based (DOCSIS 3.1) ISP for $34.99/month. I’m sure they will increase the price after 12 months. When the time comes, I’ll call them again to complain and get a decent price again.

• Jikal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Good choice. I live in the rural midwest and the only thing that’ll reach (even though we’re in the flatlands) is a WISP we pay $170 a month for 12/6. No data caps, but it’s slow as shit. At least it’s not satellite so we can still play games online fairly reliably but damn.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

lol uncapped 500mbps fiber (actual fiber directly to your house) connection is 10-12$/month in Ukraine

• Baku@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Looking at all you guys with your gigabit connections, meanwhile I’m in Aus and lucky to get 30 down and 15 up

• CatTrickery@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I live in the UK and currently have copper cable at about 60mbps for £60 per month. I thought what I had was bad because I have a friend who gets 1gbps for £30 a few miles away.

• fox2263@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

So it’s my impression that (and my knowledge might be out of date here) but almost anywhere that BT is then there should be at least 1 other company that operates on their lines (or rather Openreaches line, after they were split out of BT for competition purposes) so you should be able to get someone else with luck.

Try using Sam knows website and they tell lots about your line and what you can get.

• art101@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Where the hell in the UK are you? I’m in the North and pay £26 for 60mbps but get more like 70 due to how close I am to the street cabinet though I haven’t even got copper cable here, just crappy aluminium that is so old I think Alexander Graham Bell himself fitted them.

• CatTrickery@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m in the north-west but I’m limited to BT because nobody else has cables down yet. A different company claims to be fitting FttP round here in a few months though.

• art101@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Similar issue here, full fibre roll out is estimated to be complete in 2025.

I’m just outside Newcastle on the coast and could get Virgin but my neighbours have had a nightmare with it.

They only rolled out their fibre about three months ago so there might be issues with that