Please create or suggest Communities for Lemmy.world. I’m considering making Community creation for admins only, but for now it’s open to everyone.

• Ruud@lemmy.worldOPM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

When creating a community, it would be nice if you also upload an icon and banner. Please make sure you don’t use copyrighted images but instead create your own or look for rights-free material.

• ZenGrammy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been trying to make one for Rare Genetic Disease Support for a few days but it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve followed all the troubleshooting tips I’ve found and I’m pretty sure I’m doing it right but it just spins endlessly. I’ve tried searching for it and it doesn’t seem like it worked yet.

• WhoRoger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I’d like to make formuladank (F1 memes), 3DS/DS and PlayStation (general PS, there’s a specific PS5 one). Might bring in people from Reddit.

I tried to make a community but the final create button was unresponsive.

• DudePluto@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just created c/biblicalstudies@lemmy.world as I didn’t see one. Working on transferring academic resources over from r/academicbiblical

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For what it’s worth, as someone participating in communities I’m likely to gravitate toward the most established one irrespective of what instance it’s on. If there’s a problem with an established community (bad moderation policies, bad moderators, lots of posts I don’t like, or whatever) then I’ll look for alternatives.

But generally, I’m more interested in more communities covering new and niche topics than I am in local copies of communities that are healthy on another instance.

• Mac@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

This is why, to me, it makes sense for instances to be topic-focused.

Imagine a Mine.Craft instance with communities of various aspects of the game.

• DudePluto@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I see what you mean but that would require you to make an account for each topic you want to discuss. If they make it so you can have one account for every instance that might be great, though

• Olgratin_Magmatoe@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

You just need an account on one instance, and you can follow “subreddits” (communitites) on other instances.

Granted, it seems that for now there is still some issues accessing other communities.

• Piecemakers@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Ya know, seeing both terms next to each other like that, I realized: if we were to call Lemmy communities “sublemmies”, not only would it be great in repetition, and it definitely has a nice smooth ring to it, but we’d also get to refer to things that happen in them as “sublemminal”. 🤓🤘🏼

• Titonemo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hi Ruud, I’m new to your instance and I tried to create a community. However after I filled up all the info and clicked “create”, the button just keeps rotating. I tried many times and it was all the same.

Is there any problem which prevents me from creating community? I noticed when I tried to create account from some other instances, if my account wasn’t approved, I couldn’t log in. The button kept rotating without any notice (similar to my problem here).

• Titonemo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Hi Ruud, I did add the profile photo, also the name is in right format, as “self_healers_protocol” if I remembered correctly. I tried to create in other instance. It worked and it seemed that I shouldn’t have had the underscore _.

• itchy_lizard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

we lack a /c/mealtimevideos in lemmy (at least I couldn’t find one on any). That is, links to thought-provoking videos that are ~5-15 minutes long. Bite-sized videos just long enough to watch while you eat your lunch.