• kid4today@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I only listened to the new aphex track once on my phone when a friend sent me the link. I thought it sounded good but that I’d wait for the actual release until I gave it a proper listen. Anyway, it came up on my YouTube feed lastnight so I thought I’d give it a listen through my amp and decent speakers.

I loved it immediately. It is SO F****** GOOD! I first heard aphex when I was 15 or 16, I was 46 this year so 30 years I’ve been a fan and I think this is one of his best tracks.

The beat is just phenomenal. The way he plays with the kick and snare and bass and hi-hats, virtually no 2 parts of the beat are the same and yet it sounds totally coherent, it gives me goosebumps.

The kick and snare samples sound like pure dnb but without actually using the amen break. I love the swooping synth that’s pretty much all the way through the track. There are some wonderful little flourishes too, there’s a little sample of what sounds like a cowbell with a bit of reverb near the end, it sounds so perfectly 90’s dance… and he uses it just twice.

I must have listened to this track 30+ times already. Even when I’m not listening to it, I’m thinking about it.

A new aphex album wasn’t really something I was thinking about but after hearing this track I hope he releases a new album.