• daniyeg [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

any other propaganda military shooters doesn’t give you a choice neither. yeah i agree it’s bad as a morality to system to just say “well if you wanna be good just quit” but spec ops isn’t some rpg it has all the mechanics of its genre including the lack of choice but it’s opposing their dominant narrative. if you had the option not to murder the civilians i think the impact of the game would be lost.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

“well if you wanna be good just quit”

I’m well ahead of them there when it comes to Cawadoody and other flag humping propaganda trash. The best way to quit is to never start. nyet

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

And they’re not trying to make any statement or impact to undercut the dominant narrative. They don’t want players to question, they’re reinforcing what the player already believes.

The game doesn’t need to give you a way out. But for the moment to be impactful you do have to manipulate the player in to believing that they made a decision and are thus culpable for their actions. Players have to feel ownership of what they did to feel shame, remorse, and horror. If they had no choice except “press x to do warcrimes” or turning off the game they’ll press x and grumble about being railroaded by the story.