World’s first ‘superfast’ battery offers 400km range from 10 mins charge::Tesla, Toyota and VW supplier CATL says production will begin in 2023

• imgonnatrythis@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Want to join me on an online betting platform and wager against my statement that you will not be able to purchase what is described here in 2years? We’ve seen these kinds of promises over and over again with battery tech. Slow incremental changes yes. These types of breakthrough reports are consistently garbage regardless of how close to market they claim they are. I presume they put these out to stir up investment.

• frezik@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I don’t bet, but CATL is a company that already manufactures tons of batteries for EVs. It’s not some fly by night operation hoping to live off venture capital. If it’s not in actual BEVs within 2 years, it’ll be because car manufacturers themselves take longer than that to integrate it into existing designs.

• Phil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

But is this not the tech that Toyota is bring to market ?, they have a working prototype I believe.

• Roboticide@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

This isn’t. Toyota is claiming they’ll have a solid state battery production ready in a few years, which is a substantial improvement over even what this article is claiming.

Toyota’s is being developed largely in house it seems, and while they do have prototypes, they’re not really expecting them to be in consumer vehicles until 2027.

This article is talking about the same old liquid technology with just an improved chemistry.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I agree that some of it is marketing, some of it is tech bloggers trying to get clicks, but some of it is also real science that does have an effect. You probably won’t notice when it goes into effect, just that battery technology will slowly get better. It doesn’t really matter how fast this can charge until it’s supported in the infrastructure (and most people will charge at home overnight anyway), so you’ll only hear that charging is slowly getting faster over time, not sudden leaps. It doesn’t mean it’s all smoke and mirrors though.