• PuppyOSAndCoffee@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

bruh - it’s better to admit Linux Open Source is janky for audio production and that its commercial offerings (bitwig, reaper, renoize et al), while awesome, are incomplete because the plugin world isn’t there.

There are some things where a Mac or Windows is just a better choice, and 100% a DAW is that place.

PLEASE NOTE: Linux is 100% the right OS for homebrew devices c/o RasberryPi. There are audio focused distros that do have some nice features but they are a different kind of journey.

Telling someone “go code” is totally unrealistic. The OP’s goal is to make music.

• Kangie@lemmy.srcfiles.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Telling someone “go code” is totally unrealistic.

I’m not suggesting that someone switch over to them immediately, but accepting the status quo is a great way to ensure that it will never change. There’s no inherent reason that this software can’t run on Linux; as you’ve pointed out it’s that nobody has cared enough to do the porting.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

If you want better audio production on Linux put in some work. I provided a ton of non-coding ways that someone can contribute to those products.

I’m pragmatic enough that I suggested the use of a Windows VM.