I’m curious to hear thoughts on this. I agree for the most part, I just wish people would see the benefit of choice and be brave enough to try it out.

• Solar Bear@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is the only answer, and anybody who doesn’t agree just doesn’t understand users. They just use whatever you give them.

• deadcatbounce@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

… and by implication, it guarantees that Linux will (almost definitely) never be the world’s desktop. Mainly because there’s no one single company to blackmail.

• Solar Bear@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Android managed it, so can desktop Linux. We just need manufacturers who will ship it as default.

• Hexadecimalkink@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          10 months ago

Astra Linux will be Russia’s main desktop if this war continues for another 4 or 5 years. China UOS (Deepin) will be China’s main desktop by 2030 or so if the USA keeps up with the trade war. Lots of countries will adopt Deepin if it’s cheaper and just as stable. Linux will never be the main desktop in the West but we’ll see non US allied countries become Linux countries in the next 20 years.

• dino
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Imagine a state driven open source distro like deepin in some years.

• Hexadecimalkink@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 months ago

Highly probable. But considering Microsoft has been subsidized by the US government indirectly for decades I don’t see it being much different except that the GPL license hopefully will allow for the OS to become a common good.

• dino
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

Uhm how is chinese state looking to make profit of Deepin?

• dino
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    10 months ago

MS has to make profit of Windows. China doesn’t or can’t if Deepin is opensource.

• deadcatbounce@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I would really love a ‘standard’ Linux. Mint, Puppy, Fedora and so on are good enough.

I ‘pray’ every night for a killer Windows upgrade bug, but I think only Apple would benefit. Teens seem to have only iPhones as a status thing.