Russia’s Luna-25 spacecraft has crashed into the Moon after spinning into an uncontrolled orbit, officials say.

The unmanned craft was due to make a soft landing on the Moon’s south pole, but failed after encountering issues as it moved into its pre-landing orbit.

It was Russia’s first Moon mission in almost 50 years.

The spacecraft was scheduled to land on Monday to explore a part of the Moon which scientists think could hold frozen water and precious elements.

Roskosmos, Russia’s state space corporation, said it lost contact with the Luna-25 shortly after running into difficulties.

• GreatFord@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

They were also trying to be the Indian team, who are taking a longer time using gravitational whip to send their mission to the Moon’s pole.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

They were actually always pretty good at unmanned missions. This was the same design from the 1970s.

• btaf45@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The Russians have a bunch of crashed spacecraft on Mars and no successful Mars landings.

• oatscoop@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The Soviets were also the only ones to successfully put a lander on Venus, and accomplished this in the 70s. They were a powerhouse when it came to unmanned missions: even with more primative control systems they had to work with.

Of course with the fall of the USSR all the smart people behind those successes could leave, so …

• SirMechsALot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah historically we’ve used them a ton for collaborations in space architecture. I can’t share too much but my team has worked with them, before my time, and they refused to make any advancements in certain systems. Since then collaboration has been incredibly difficult but not because of Russia’s engineers.

• greavous@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

That is basically the rough history of our planets space exploring ventures. American/russia one upping each other.

• kattenluik@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

There’s no sources on this that I could find and It’s definitely a weird thing to claim.