• regalia@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I hate the term Web3, the name itself feels like gaslighting. It tries to imply like it’s the next step for the web. It’s just grifting and is absolutely impractical lol.

Notice how Web3 blew up because of insane VC money, then suddenly dies what feels like overnight. They didn’t care about decentralization, otherwise they’d actually invest in non Blockchain bullshit. But then they can’t scam with crypto coins.

• Gnubyte@lemdit.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Because it fucking gaslighting. I remember having this WTF moment when I was reading the O’Reilly Ethereum programming book.

If web 2 was html 5 and css3, how does a protocol that relies solely on money being transacted make the basis of web3?

This sounds exactly like a VC plot. “There will be money exchanged on every transaction”. I bet they lost their minds in the pitch room when they heard it.

• qaz@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

VC’s are where the hype is, all those AI companies will disappear too when the AI hype dies.

• regalia@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

And that’s the circle of silicon valley. AI with last longer though, it has actual practical applications and already is generating a ton of money. It’ll start to die down once more people realize that its hallucinations kill a lot of its applications, which we’ll need another technology breakthrough for that. It’s a problem that’s possible to solve though. I just hope for the collapse of OpenAI.

• qaz@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Certainly, that’s why I said AI hype. Machine learning is already invaluable in many fields. Its ability to generate new content, is certainly not flawless, but already has some uses. I just hope that the hype dies down and companies stop putting pointless and flawed AI integration in their products to please investors.