• wolf@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

IMHO it is really hard to talk about installers.

I 100% agree that the Debian installer has a lot of room for improvements, just from the top of my head

• Make default installations much easier
    • Collect needed information before installation starts (instead of the a little information, a little installation process at the moment)…

OTOH, and that is the main selling point: The installer is very flexible, if you know what you are doing and my specific needs are therefore easier served with the Debian installer than that of other mainstream distributions.

In the end, I would happily see a username-password-one-click default option for the Debian installer while not taking anything away from the current one. (Just move all the input to the front.)

• JubilantJaguar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My point should have been clearer. Wasn’t talking about the installer, which AFAIK is now pretty much as simple as Ubuntu, only uglier. I was referring mainly to the real obstacle of getting Linux up and running: making the boot medium. I mean, really, expecting noobs to know how to do that, or else just hinting vaguely about what 3rd-party tools to use, or how to use dd etc - come on, that is just not realistic. Others disagree but IMO this very much is Debian’s problem to fix.