• Dee@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They had up to 96 hours of air in there according to experts, so I think today is the final day they could be rescued with ideal conditions. Assuming they didn’t freak out in there and use more oxygen than necessary, which… yeah…

• LoamImprovement@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

There’s also a possibility, however slim, that one or more passengers is dead, which, although morbid, would increase the amount of air available to each of the remaining passengers, I think?

• Dee@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s a good point, it feels wrong to hope somebody died but that’s kind of their only chance at this point.

• magnetosphere @beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I know this is kind of shitty of me, but at first, I didn’t care much. “Tragedies happen every day, and they knew what they were getting into,” I thought.

If anyone has withstood this ordeal for so long, though, they deserve to survive. If this is true, I hope at least one person is rescued.

• codus@leby.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My understanding is that an aircraft picked it up and subsequent searches haven’t found anything. Hopefully this is a good sign but it doesn’t seem convincing that the sub is actually what was heard.

• lilweeb@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I hope this doesn’t turn into another Thresher situation. I saw a video a little while ago where a former submanirer goes over a recently released report about it and it’s nightmarish.

• Dulce Maria@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

maybe one of the passengers shot everyone else once they knew they were fucked so the remaining dude can use the oxygen for longer

• yoshi_nori@dataterm.digital
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What gets me is that, depending on what happened, they might be alive out there in the ocean at this very moment. I know there are tragedies happening every minute in the world, violent deaths every other minute, and so on.

But still, to think that they might be very distressed at this very moment, that is a disturbing thought.