Why would I want to browse Lemmy “Local” instead of subscribed? It seems that “Local” can serve up just about anything, including things that have nothing to do with the types of communities that I have subscribed to. If I understand correctly, “Local” shows any post to any community on Lemmy.world, which could be just about anything. So, maybe I am missing the point because I don’t really see why anyone would want that.

• SomeoneElse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The same reason why you might browse r/all or r/popular on Reddit. If there’s nothing new on your subscription page, you can carry on doom scrolling on local.

• MegaUltraChicken@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been using local to find new communities that look interesting or if something shows up that I haven’t subscribed to.

• CaptObvious@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Why not both? Local and Federated are useful for discovery, an unfiltered (and unalgorithmed) look at the world. If that’s not your thing, stick with Subscribed.

• cccc@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What’s in local depends on your instance. It’s pretty good on mine because it’ll give me stuff that’s relevant but not top tier interest.