Vatican City: 0

• hydroptic@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    19 days ago

Football fields of continental Europe. This is blatant Nordic erasure and I will not stand for it!

Meaning I’m going to sit down because my legs are tired.

edit: also; isn’t this effectively a population density map? Wonder how it’d look if this was done per capita (for eg the population administrative unit each field is in)

• Skua@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      19 days ago

Here’s an attempt to overlay this map with a population density one. It’s rough but I couldn’t think of a better way to show the info with what’s available. Red is still a football field, but now non-football-field land is green. Population density is blue. This means that football field + high density = magenta, no field + high density = cyan, field + low density = red, and no field + low density = green. Reference colours in the Bay of Biscay. It seems like the UK is basically a perfect density map, rural France loves football, eastern Europe in general is less bothered about the sport. I’m quite surprised by how few are in Spain too, given the country’s legacy in football

• hydroptic@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

Ha now that’s pretty interesting. Funny how coastal areas look like they’re into football more than inland areas

The color scheme worked out really well for a quick solution, too. Good job!

• Servais (il/le)OP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

It’s still not a perfect overlap

On the following map high density areas without fields are in cyan, Ireland for instance is probably more rugby oriented:

• psmgx@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 days ago

ITT: mountains, and places where there are not mountains. and eastern europe, which presumably has less mountains and more depression.

• Skua@kbin.earth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        18 days ago

It’s wild to me that Ireland maintains several local sports at a high level and is also world-class at rugby with a relatively small population

• khannie@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          18 days ago

Wild! Like how we punch that far above our weight in the rugby is mind blowing to me. I know NZ has a small population too but they’re all about the rugby. There are honestly feck all rugby clubs in Ireland compared to the GAA or footie but the ones that do exist play at a ridiculous level.

edit: I was curious so went looking. It looks like there are less than 50 clubs on the whole island. Now a lot of secondary schools play at a very high level in Dublin and Limerick and wouldn’t have a club associated with them so that’s not the full picture, but still.

There is a club in my town, but only one other that I can see in a ~25KM radius whereas there would be probably 20x that of GAA and football clubs in the same area.

• ElmarsonTheThird
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

Somewhat related: every football field indicates a settlement. That map makes me kinda sad.

I’m a recreational cyclist and live in central europe. Breathtaking views of nature (cycling along the Scottish north coast and such) can’t be had with a football field and/or settlement every few kilometres.

• JTskulk@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

America’s influence really is everywhere. What I don’t get is how the first 6 listed are not only both so low, but are measured as fractions. How do you have part of a football field?

• rekabis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      18 days ago

Over on this side of the pond, we call the sport soccer.

So for Americans and Canadians, this would be a map of soccer fields.

• cron@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    19 days ago

I think soccer fields would be the more appropriate wording, also thats how the map is called on the right.