• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Y2K was a non-event.

It’s worth mentioning that it was a non-event thanks to the tireless efforts of millions of programmers reviewing billions of lines of code. The problem was real, and the threat of total financial meltdown was real, and we prevented it because we all agreed that there was a problem that needed fixing.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that the problem had been fixed for months, if not years, before the media turned it into a frenzy. Most of the work had been done, and it was only the slim chance that something critical had been overlooked. The panic and fearmongering was massively overblown. It’s like being in a plane that lands, and then they announce the engine had fallen off in mid flight. Yes, it could have been bad, and the plane might still present a risk to everyone onboard, but the worst of the danger has passed.

• SolidGrue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s worth mentioning that it was a non-event thanks to the tireless efforts of millions of programmers reviewing billions of lines of code.

Oh, I don’t mean to downplay the magnitude of the challenge! That it was a non-event is a minor miracle easily a decade in the making thanks entirely to the efforts of people way smarter than me. While I didn’t sit in on code reviews myself, there were a couple of Old Programmers who came back from retirement to review some of our own COBOL code, and older. They were happy ro share. It was a formative event for me as a young buck.

The UNIX epoch rollover in 2038 is going to be more of the same. Many systems haven’t yet been converted over to 64-bit time, and there are a LOT of embedded systems out there. Hopefully attrition will take them, but we all know the IT lore of that one old NT server sealed up in the wall, and still serving files somehow…