I was thinking about sharing thoughts, questions, rants on this specific times of the year.

Has school/kindergarten already started for you?

• davidalso@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Only. Nine. More. Days.

I can rant at length about how hard summer vacations are and how confused I am about the expectation that parents can just drop everything and become full-time daycare providers for months out of every year.

Edit: I’m an idiot. This thread was not really relevant for my situation. My kids are in early childhood and the only good option for them in my town was a daycare that operates on an academic calendar.

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This is kind of a bad take. Schools are not daycare, and their primary purpose is not to take the burden of raising your kids off your shoulders. And you are not taking over as “daycare provider”, you are doing what should be your primary job: parenting.

Time off of school is how life should be balanced, and if that doesn’t fit with your work schedule, then it’s time to look into actually sending the kids to daycare/day camp/summer camp or finding relatives who are willing to babysit them during the day.

• davidalso@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Totally fair. I should have clarified. My kids are daycare aged and they are in an excellent early childhood program. It also happens to run on an academic calendar and it’s described as a “school.”

It’s worth the cost in stress and time because the program is so good when it’s open. But as it turns out there are also very few daycare programs available in my city that have openings. So we don’t have a ton of options.