I used to always try for the best outcome but with this have it seems like half of the time a failure also leads to an amazing consequence and story.

Like this from act one in the Underdark:

spoiler

I had to find a hidden gnome that could supply me with gunpowder, but she was so much on edge that she lit up the barrel of gunpowder and blew up the whole room, leaving half of my party dead. A suicide gnome bomber. I couldn’t convince her that I was not an enemy. Reloaded just to see if I could successfully do it, but much preferred the first outcome of the dice roll, so had to reload and try 6 times until I failed again. What a game!

• Lith@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I found most failed rolls in DE made me enjoy the moment more, sometimes even moreso than a success. Especially with non-recoverable red checks. The only times I save scummed were when I kept failing a white check I had a really high chance on, or when I really wanted to see both outcomes on a red check. The only required checks in the game give you hundreds of bonuses if you explore the area around them first.

When it comes to save scumming for a more perfect route, I always like to let my first run in a game play out however it does, because that’s my one chance to experience the game at face value, so suffering only makes it better. Then I make my second run a perfectionist run for the catharsis.