• Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

So what is the desired end result of a voting system, to promote popular opinions, or to promote interesting opinions?

The voting system just presents the community opinion on the comment. There are any number of ways to weigh those opinions. The other metrics I would want to see are number of threads, average length of threads, average word count in replies, etc. But raw upvoted and downvote counts go a long way toward finding good content.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It only really works in smaller communities imo, as the community gets larger, it just reflects what’s popular, and that’s a separate scale from good vs bad, especially once your community has self-selected itself into a common way of thinking.

So the question is, how do we mitigate that self selection? How do we promote diversity? Voting doesn’t seem to cut it, and I don’t think moderation is the way either (we just need the “right people” argument). So yeah, I’d like to see a lot more experimentation with different ways of sorting comments and posts, because I think promoting diverse content is better long term.