I just recently started my journey setting up Plex with *Arr and have had a blast. I have the setup running on a raspberry Pi. Before I start buying a bunch of external hard drives, I went searching for some dedicated server hardware to comparison shop. Am I crazy to consider buying an old tower server for this, or will a raspberry Pi work just fine for this purpose? I don’t have that much experience but I do enjoy a good challenge.

• piratetarip@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

As someone mentioned do you need to do something computational intensive like transcoding? Another question would be if electricity costs matter to you (would it run 24/7 for example?)

• Skotimusj@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I currently don’t require much transcoding but I imagine I will as time goes on. I would rather not have to police the filetypes for downloads as heavily. That being said, It will be an always on server so power is a consideration. I haven’t thought about how expensive it would be to run a tower server vs raspberry Pi.

• piratetarip@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You could also ask over in !homelab@lemmy.ml . I mostly mention the power consumption, because of you an “old tower server” even if cheap might consume quite a bit and efficiency has improved by a lot. So even if the older hardware is cheaper you’d probably get that back from saving electricity over time.

I think it makes sense to think a bit about your needs and budget. Does noise matter? Another question would be how much storage you want and if you need redundancy. SSD prices have fallen quite a bit, so even 4tb SSDs aren’t that expensive anymore.

If you’d be fine with that, then there are quite a few cheap intel based (for quicksync) mini PCs for sale that could be an option.

If you’d want more storage and are looking at larger capacity HDDs, then you’d have to decide if you want to build yourself or buy a prebuild nas.

I’m sadly not quite up to date on what specific models are the best atm.

• alcyoneous@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You could always setup a Tdarr instance on another, powerful server (that you don’t have on all the time) that can crunch through everything to make sure it’s the right file type.