I just recently started my journey setting up Plex with *Arr and have had a blast. I have the setup running on a raspberry Pi. Before I start buying a bunch of external hard drives, I went searching for some dedicated server hardware to comparison shop. Am I crazy to consider buying an old tower server for this, or will a raspberry Pi work just fine for this purpose? I don’t have that much experience but I do enjoy a good challenge.

• angelsomething@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’ve recently installed the whole arr suite as well, but my Plex media server runs off of my shield TV. i think the raspberry pi4 with 8gb ram is best suited for Plex media server. I have a little tower with 4 pis 3b, 1 is only for pihole, 2 is only for deluge, 3 is for the whole arr suite and 4 is for grafana dashboard and fan control (got a Python script that looks at the temperature of all 4 using node-exporter and picks the average for fan speed). So far it all works great. For storage, I have a NAS with 16tb in raid 1 so 8tb available. Make sure you set the quality setting right or it’ll automatically try to download 10gb files per movie or some silly high bit-rate file.

• Skotimusj@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I hadn’t considered adding serial Pi’s. That is an interesting idea. I am not sure how I would go about doing that but Ill do some research. Any good resources you would recommend?

• angelsomething@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I am afraid there is no single space I found for the whole project as it just happened Organically based on what I wanted to achieve etc. get this, I first heard of sonarr in ‘17 but only going around installing it last month. I will admit, however, that I could not have completed my project without perplexity.ai simply because although I know my way around Python and Linux, I’m still a newbie. Mind you, It’s not perfect but getting the answers I needed was much easier. This is because unlike vanilla ChatGPT, before it replies, it does search the web and the produce a more or less accurate and up to date answer. Especially great for troubleshooting issues.