Even if it’s not expensive, Is there a high quality item every serious enthusiast owns?

Or maybe it’s a highly prized holy grail item you’d give your right arm for.

Is there something you’ve had an eye on for a while and you’re just waiting for an excuse to treat yourself?

• HidingCat@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s a road bike thing right? I recall if you want to hit the trails there are plenty of decent MTBs at around 1k or slightly less.

• -hypnotoad-@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Kinda…MTB’s at that price point come with front suspensions that aren’t really worth the added weight. You’re adding complexity with the extra parts that you “should” be spending at least double that.

But yes, below 1K you’re looking at entry level “fitness” bikes with flat bars, or something from Poseidon or Decathlon. Luckily the used market is vibrant if you have someone experienced helping you out (that’s where reddit bike communities came in handy)

• HidingCat@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I really should have said “were”; I haven’t been in a bike shop for over a decade. You’re right that the front suspension fork is not the best at those price points; even then they were always kinda so-so until you hit about 1.5k

Still have my Scott Expert Racing that’s unfortunately gathering dust fo the past 5-6 years. XD