My 5 year old notebook is starting to show it’s age, so I want to finally build a “real” PC. I rarely play games, so this is probably overkill - But I don’t want my PC to be what’s stopping me. I also expect it to last a while.

I chose all AMD because I’m running linux, and AMD seems to still be the best choice for that.

I found a couple similar posts on which I based this list, so most of the parts are probably fine. I’m unsure about the cooler: How much headroom should I leave? This one is rated just 10W higher than the CPU TDP, so it might be cutting it too close.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor €385.00
CPU Cooler be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 CPU Cooler €23.94
Motherboard MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard €160.24
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory €99.89
Storage Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For €0.00
Video Card ASRock Challenger OC Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card €255.00
Case MSI MAG FORGE 110R ATX Mid Tower Case €54.85
Power Supply Gigabyte UD750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €75.43
Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 3 49.9 CFM 120 mm Fan €9.32
Case Fan be quiet! Pure Wings 3 49.9 CFM 120 mm Fan €9.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €1072.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-04 20:37 CEST+0200
  • Telorand@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 days ago

Looks good. Only thing I might change is to upgrade that cooler. I think you’re gonna be maxing out its capabilities pretty often, and you’ll wind up upgrading anyway.

I was impressed by the Thermalright Peerless Assassin when I built mine a couple years ago. Noctua makes a very good U12A, and there’s also the C14S. If you need to go cheaper, the Scythe Fuma 3 might be a decent pick.

• elDalviniOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

Right, I might just see what cooler I can get second-hand. Thanks for your input!

• Telorand@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 days ago

Good luck! Building your first PC is a great milestone.

I also recommend seeing if you can find a build video using your exact case, so you can see if there’s any parts you should do in a particular order. Knowing what to expect when I built my SFF PC was a big help.

• Classy Hatter@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 days ago

Peerless Assassin isn’t much more expensive. I have it on my Ryzen 5700x, and it’s never audible. At idle my PC is pretty much silent and while playing games GPU and case fans hides any noise the PA makes.

• pleasantseaweed@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 days ago

Since you’re rarely playing Games, you might want to consider the Ryzen 7700X or 7900 (No X).

The 7700X gives you 10 to 20% higher computing performance with its higher clockspeeds, uses about 10% less power while still offering decent gaming performance comparable to a 5800X3D. All at a proicepoint about €100 lower than the 7800X3D

The 7900 gives you about 40 to 60% higher computing performance due to having higher clockspeeds and four additional cores, is just a touch weaker in games than the 7700X whilst using just about half the Power of a 7800X3D and costing you €50-60 less.

You could either pocket the savings or upgrade one or two of your other parts, a few recommendations being:

Case - Fractal Design Meshify C ~€100

Power supply - be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850W ATX 3.0 ~€125

Additional Storage - Kingston KC3000 1TB ~€80

Cooler - be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 ~€50

Mainboard - Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX ~€215

• elDalviniOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 days ago

Right, I guess I assumed CPU naming makes sense, so surely the lower number CPU must be worse in every way, right?😜

Looks like going with the 7700X is a no-brainer for me then.

As for your upgrade recommendations: Can you explain the benefits of a higher-end mainboard? I would think the mainboard shouldn’t make a huge difference, as long as it’s from a reputable manufacturer and compatible with all the other parts.

Thanks for your help!

• pleasantseaweed@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 days ago

Higher end mainboards can (but not necessarily always do) offer you a few things, like better energy management resulting in a more stable and efficient system or the headroom to overclock. In this case you’d also get the next tier of current AMD chipsets, the X670, which offers more PCIe 4.0 lanes, a M2 slot with a PCIe 5.0 x4 connection and double the possible USB-C 10 Gbps and 20 Gbps connectors. Depending on what your priorities are, you might also consider a board with a B650E chipset in the Same price range, which gives you everything the B650 has but additionally has one M2 PCIe 5.0 slot and upgrades your PCIe x16 slot to 5.0 aswell, which the X670 sacrifices for the additional capacity in USB-C

• elDalviniOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 days ago

Thanks for breaking it down for me! I think I’ll stick with the B650 motherboard for now.