• IgnoreKassandra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Warmongers being… the country currently undergoing a genocide from a global superpower? If you come to my home and shoot my kid, I’m not a warmonger for returning fire.

And the idea that the reason our programs at home are underfunded is a result of foreign aid is complete bullshit. They could fund those programs in a heartbeat at any time with or without a war. We could absolutely do both, the reason we don’t is because none of your politicians give a shit about you, unrelated to what’s going on in the world.

• FlashMobOfOne@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Warmongers being… the country currently undergoing a genocide from a global superpower? If you come to my home and shoot my kid, I’m not a warmonger for returning fire.

Here your kids are getting shot to death in schools, but as far as oppressive global superpowers go, read up on how the US has been helping Saudi Arabia starve and decimate Yemen for the last eight years. But, to be clearer, the warmongers I refer to are the ones taking a trillion of our tax dollars every year and funneling them into their own companies and the other eight wars we’re already hopelessly entangled in.

I’m all for Ukraine fighting this war… on their own. I just don’t appreciate seeing our people impoverished and neglected because of it.

And the idea that the reason our programs at home are underfunded is a result of foreign aid is complete bullshit.

False. Canada spends $23 billion a year on war. They have universal health care. We 100% lack universal health care because we’re spending over a trillion a year on war, and now, another $1,015,000,000 billion on another country’s war. (On top of the tens of billions we already gave them in charity.)

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

We’re not talking about Saudi Arabia and Yemen, we’re talking about Ukraine.

I’m all for Ukraine fighting this war… on their own.

So you’re in favor of them being conquered and ethnically clensed. That’s what happens without material support from western powers.

I just don’t appreciate seeing our people impoverished and neglected because of it.

The American people were impoverished and neglected before the war in Ukraine, and they will be after. Letting Russia wipe out a vulnerable ethic group won’t get you free healthcare.

Regardless, we could fund a universal healthcare system half a dozen different ways, and the American people would still save money not having to pay subsidies. The idea that it’s a hard thing to fund in the richest country in the world is one of the biggest lies i government. The reason we don’t have one isnt because we can’t come up with the funds, it’s that your politicians hate you and love pharma money.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

The American people were impoverished and neglected before the war in Ukraine, and they will be after. Letting Russia wipe out a vulnerable ethic group won’t get you free healthcare.

You all said the same thing about Afghanistan. 20 years and several trillion dollars later, and it was 100% a waste.

So you’re in favor of them being conquered and ethnically clensed. That’s what happens without material support from western powers.

I’m in favor of my tax dollars going to keeping Americans alive for once, instead of being spent on yet another war we shouldn’t be involved in in the first place.

Regardless, we could fund a universal healthcare system half a dozen different ways

Agreed, and chief among would be spending hundreds of billions less on other countries’ wars, and also not being involved in eight of them at the same time.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

The difference between this and Afghanistan being that we don’t have boots on the ground, we’re just supporting a geopolitical ally avoid GENOCIDE via a geopolitical enemy.

I’m in favor of my tax dollars going to keeping Americans alive for once, instead of being spent on yet another war we shouldn’t be involved in in the first place.

Okay, from that perspective allowing Russia to grind itself into nothing prevents future proxy wars where Americans will die. Russia is an enemy of the United States. They fund anti-american terrorist groups, the interfere with our election, they attempt assassinations on US soil. Allow Russia to operate unchallenged does not result in a safer world for the American people.

Also, maybe I’m the asshole here, but I feel like America SHOULD get involved to stop literal, capital G genocide. I think the fact that you’re happy to watch Russia exterminate Ukrainian towns just because it saves us a couple bucks pretty despicable. I mean, honestly, not to make that same worn out comparison, but if the Japanese hadn’t attacked us, would you have happily sat out of World War II because it “wasn’t our fight”?

• kurwa@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

The only thing you should be pushing for is the war to stop, but I think not helping is worse. Letting Russia take over Ukraine would be awful. At the same time, not pushing for peace 100% of the time is sad.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 year ago

Letting Russia take over Ukraine would be awful

It’s also awful that tens of millions of Americans can’t afford to go to a doctor, but I don’t see you calling for us to spend less on war in order to bolster the welfare of our own people.

• kurwa@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

wdym I literally am lol I said we should aim for peace. We deserve free healthcare. But Ukrainians also deserve to not die too.

• kurwa@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    1 year ago

If you think not being a part of this war means Americans get any more from the government then I have a bridge to sell you.

• kurwa@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 year ago

When did I say I thought otherwise? Why don’t you stop making shit up. Be quiet.

• bob@lemmy.havocperil.uk
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 year ago

It’s also awful that tens of millions of Americans can’t afford to go to a doctor, but I don’t see you calling for us to spend less on war in order to bolster the welfare of our own people.

Yes, it’s such a shame that countries can’t fund two things at the same time. 🙄

• Aesthesiaphilia@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Universal health care would be cheaper than what we’re currently spending on our inefficient, greedy healthcare system. It’s got nothing to do with how much we spend on war.

I’m in favor of moving us to universal health care, and then taking the savings and spending it on more bombs and bullets that we can send to Ukraine. What do you think about that plan? I’m going to guess you won’t like it, because you don’t give a shit about healthcare, you Putin-sucking tankie.