Firefighter here. I was reflecting on a fatality I attended recently. My thoughts wandered to how a body looks like it is ‘just matter’ in a way that a living thing does not, even when sleeping. Previously I assumed this observation was just something to do with traumatic death, but this person seemed to have died peacefully and the same, ‘absence’ of something was obvious.

I’m not a religious person, but it made me wonder if there actually is something that ‘leaves’ when someone dies (beyond the obvious breathing, pulse etc).

I’m not looking for a ‘my holy book says’, kind of discussion here, but rather a reflection on the direct, lived experiences of people who see death regularly.

• mawkishdave@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

There is a lot that is missing, your body has to do a lot just function. We get so used to seeing these things that when you don’t it looks just wrong. It’s the same issue that is showing up when companies try to make robots with human faces, they are not doing the normal things a person’s body does and this looks just wrong to us like something is missing. That is why it’s better to make robots that don’t look too close to humans so it don’t look so weird.

• HeavyRust@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

That is why it’s better to make robots that don’t look too close to humans so it doesn’t look so weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Yup, if the robot looks nothing like a real human or it resembles a human perfectly, then everything feels fine. But, in between is where it feels weird.