A new messaging app is in development, and the project is described as “an open source WhatsApp for the Fediverse.”

• boatswain@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m much more excited about Veilid than another server-based thing, even if it’s federated servers. Fully peer-to-peer seems like the way to go for direct conversations.

• Sean Tilley@lemmy.mlOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m pretty curious about Veilid, and eager to check it out. But, I believe that peer-to-peer and federated could theoretically complement each other very well, especially when it comes to building infrastructure for this big weird network we’re a part of.

• boatswain@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

For me, federated networks make a lot of sense when you want moderation and admins. Having a lot of little places with centralized control that can all talk to each other is much preferable to having 5 giant shitty walled gardens.

If I’m going to talk to a friend or a small group of friends directly, then I don’t feel a need to have a centralized authority in the works, which is why I’d prefer peer-to-peer for that kind of communication.

Those are just my preferences though; good luck with the project, and hack on!

• ikidd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

This. Maybe something that doesnt want my phone number or require me to sign on from a known device. That shit creeps me out, because I know none of it is necessary.