Sources say campaign is concerned that Trump may engage in the kind of self-sabotage that turned off voters in 2020

Donald Trump’s campaign is most concerned going into the debate against Kamala Harris with the former president’s mood, afraid that the mercurial Trump could engage in the kind of self-sabotage that turned off voters in the 2020 presidential election, according to people familiar with the situation.

The campaign’s internal refrain is whether they get “happy Trump” or “angry Trump”, the people said, as they count down the days to perhaps the final presidential debate this cycle.

Tuesday night’s televised debate is widely seen as a crux moment in the rebooted 2024 campaign. Since Joe Biden dropped out of the race after a campaign-killing debate performance crystalized fears over his age and mental acuity, Harris has turned the race on its head.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

Honestly this is going to be the first bit of content including trump that I’m going to willingly watch for entertainment in YEARS. I anticipate Harris absolutely taking him apart.

• Aniki 🌱🌿
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 days ago

I’m so torn on watching or just wait till the postmortem highlights. There’s so many cons about watching live – listening to the whole pointless charade, having to spend an extra amount of time thinking about Trump, and being bombarded by commercials… I fucking hate broadcast TV.

• Dagwood222@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

I haven’t watched any of Trump’s speeches. I leave it to those with stronger stomachs to report for me.

• Aniki 🌱🌿
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 days ago

The only time I allowed that cunt to enter my earholes I spent the entire time counting the complete sentences since they were so few and far between. Still only lasted about 5 minutes before I decided that literally anything else would be a better use of my time, including staring at the same screen only powered off.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

That’s usually my strategy, but this is the first debate in a long time that I think will be something other than a slow-motion car crash on both sides of the stage.

This time, it’s going to be a sprint race between a competently-assembled car and a dumpster full of used fry oil that someone lit on fire. I’m anticipating that it’s going to have a TON of absurdly hilarious and memeable moments.

• anarchrist@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Yeah, for sure. I sure hope she brings her A game and can bait him into being a psychopath, regardless of which Trump shows up. Isn’t that right, other Barry?

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

I had not thought about it, but I didn’t have any interest in the Biden/Trump debate. I knew what to expect, and Biden’s disappointing showing just made me bored with the whole thing.

I’m actually excited to see Harris pick Trump apart tomorrow, and I hope she doesn’t take her foot off his neck the whole time.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

Yep, same. I knew precisely how the Biden/Trump debate was going to pan out - actually, it went worse than I thought it would, if I’m completely honest.

Seeing someone who is actually at/near the peak of their political game and mental aptitude just clinically disassemble the narcissistic psychopathic fascist is going to warm my heart tomorrow evening, because fascists should be given no quarter under any circumstances.