• Ford’s CEO said Tesla’s Cybertruck is for “Silicon Valley people” not “real people who do real work.”
  • Jim Farley said Tesla’s pickup truck won’t compete with the F-150 Lightning.
  • Tesla is expected to release the EV pickup later this year, but it’s been delayed several times.
  • admiralteal@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have. A lot of pickup trucks, for example, are built out of F450s. Old F450s.

The F-150 line is almost entirely vanity vehicles, though, and I have never seen a Lightning on the road but am sure I do not exclude it from my judgment.

• skulblaka@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The Lightnings actually have a reasonable use case as short range delivery fleet trucks. They’re not going to go very far but they will move materials across town super cheaply and relatively eco-friendly - provided you have the startup capital to buy a fleet of Lightnings and the charger hookups.

I would not buy one as a consumer daily driver though.

• Flaky_Fish69@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The transits are a much better platform/form factor for that use case, and probably would have been easier to modify into an EV.

The current iteration has too many compromises as a “consumer” vehicle while still pandering to the idea of being a working truck. A “man’s truck”, if you will. Let’s be honest here, they’re not advertising it to companies. They’re advertising it to men- the kind of men that need to remind the world that they’re men. kind of like how they used to pitch SUVs, at least until suvs became the go-to family car,

• Xeelee@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

They’re already doing an electric Transit in Europe. For most work related use cases it’s an altogether better vehicle.

• SoManyChoices@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The Euro Transit vans are impressive. I had a guy come out to fix a flat tire on my rental car in Scotland. He made it down a singletrack dirt driveway to where I had parked and basically had an entire tire shop in his van. Ended up replacing the tire rather than patching it and it was still NBD.

• admiralteal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

They are REALLY big and heavy for a short-range delivery vehicle.

Very much hoping someone like Pickman or AYRO is successful enough to eat up that entire market at a third the price.

• Aesthesiaphilia@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I penciled out a business plan to use the lightning to run pallets and recyclable materials from several businesses to a nearby recycler, as a side gig. If the truck weren’t so dang expensive it would work. I could even run a small commercial cardboard baler off the truck.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

even the gas versions, the Dodge ProMaster, Ford Transits and Nissan NV’s outperform. their fuel efficient, they have lower-to-the-ground beds allowing less lifting to get stuff in the bed size is larger- and lockable. and they cost less than their pick up counter parts

hell, I know a guy that delver’s pallets of printed…things… in a prius, and would sniff at a pickup.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

The thing that would make it work for me is free charging at work, which would also be one of the customers whose junk I’d be disposing. $0 fuel costs.

But the cost of the truck is just too much

• SoManyChoices@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

If you could get through a day without needing to use a fast charger, it might still work. Overnight charging on a slow level 2 is cheap. Needing to do a 20 minute top-up at a fast charger gets expensive in a hurry.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Yeah it’s got a 300+ mile range, which is more than enough for me, even hauling. I don’t commute super long distances.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Fifth wheel trailer hauling is the only use case that makes a big truck worthwhile, imo. The toy he weight on the hitch is…. Not that impressive and usually the limiting factor. Keep in mind I’m not talking about recreational/consumer usage- talking about actual work-usage (ie a contractor, or plumber or something)