Facebook has admitted that it scrapes the public photos, posts and other data of Australian adult users to train its AI models and provides no opt-out option, even though it allows people in the European Union to refuse consent.

• BrikoX@lemmy.zipOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

Take your friends or family members who use social media. Do you control what they post on their social media? When you hang out with them during holidays or vacations, do you wear a mask or hide behind a wall when photos are taken? I doubt that and even if you do, most people, don’t.

• chemical_cutthroat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

My friends and family are apparently saints or something, because they ask. As a matter of fact, my mother’s birthday was Sunday, and I went to visit. My sister took my picture while I was sitting with her kids and asked if it was OK to share on Facebook. I don’t know, maybe have a talk with people you are close to and set some boundaries. I’ll keep it a buck with you, I never had to bring it up with anyone, it’s just common courtesy.

• BrikoX@lemmy.zipOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 days ago

You have the most thoughtful friends and family members. But how about strangers in public places, do you talk to anyone that have their phone out in public to make sure they don’t post anything to their social media?

• BrikoX@lemmy.zipOPM
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 days ago

Because they are all real cases that one needs to think about when it comes to privacy. And that is not even all the cases. Each additional case just acts as a highlight why your original comment is pure ignorance.